Dear West Mercer Families,
I hope you are well and staying dry, warm, and positive as the wet, blistery weather is now upon us.
Updates & Information:
- The Halloween Carnival is this Friday, October 29th. Thank you to the PTA for putting this together and those of you who are able to volunteer your time to support.
- Halloween Costumes - Students may choose to wear a costume to school on Friday. That being said, please be mindful that some costumes can be considered culturally offensive - it is important to consider if the costume may portray a stereotype or could offend a particular group of people/identity. We also ask that costumes that involve (fake) blood or weapons be left at home, as they are not appropriate for school. Lastly, Halloween can be an expensive holiday. If anyone in our community would like support with purchasing a Halloween costume, please reach out to me directly and I am happy to help.
*Ultimately, we want our Halloween Carnival and celebrations on Friday to be inclusive, fun, joyful, and an opportunity for our community to connect. Our students and staff are already very excited about the event, and we look forward to the opportunity to bring back and celebrate a major tradition together here at West Mercer in a safe, positive way.
- Kidscorps - MIHS is offering 1:1 tutoring through a program called Kidscorps. This volunteer club pairs willing high-schoolers with elementary students. More information and the application to join Kidscorps can be found here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOaIHh5tmQGS4oVuswzk124DN-Qup1Z4hDIc_8OdMdiZ-_eQ/viewform
- The West Mercer Fall Soccer Tournament is wrapping up with the final week of games this week. It has been such a fun opportunity for students to build soccer skills and teamwork at lunch recess. We are looking at other recess "tournaments" to hold throughout the year. Stay tuned.
- SEAC - We are looking for two parent/guardians to serve as representatives on the Superintendent Equity Advisory Council on behalf of West Mercer. The meetings will be held in-person at the Admin Building Board Room starting in November. Please let me know if you are interested in serving as a rep!
- Update on Conferences - You are not required to show your COVID immunization record in order to attend in-person conferences. We will still be offering both Zoom and in-person options. More communication regarding conferences will come from your child's teacher.
- Veteran's Day - We will be holding a virtual assembly on Wednesday, November 10th from 9:30-10:00 to honor Veteran's Day. You are welcome to attend this virtual assembly. The webinar zoom link will be forthcoming. We will have no school on Thursday, November 11th in honor of Veteran's Day.
- The Outdoor Lunch sign-up form for Session 5 will be sent out on Thursday, October 28th. The link will be live Thursday 10/28 - Sunday 10/31. Please make sure you sign-up within that window if you would like your student to participate in Outdoor Lunch. We have to adjust staffing, facilities, and maintenance based on our Outdoor Lunch participants, so honoring this deadline is critical.
- Communication - Based on feedback from the community and recognizing the level of communication you are already receiving at the district and classroom level, I am going to limit this school-wide Family Newsletter to one time per month. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me via email at any time if you have any questions, comments, concerns, etc.
- Go Seahawks and have a great week!
West Mercer Elementary
About West Mercer Elementary
West Mercer is a place of joy where all students, staff, and families commit to grow, empower and value each other. We believe that our capacity to learn is unlimited.
Value, Belief and Commitment Statements:
- We believe in strong partnerships with families and our community. We commit to respecting their insights and opinions.
- We believe that every student and family in our community belongs. We commit to foster and embrace all aspects of diversity and further commit to face and address areas of inequity.
- We believe it is important that we (staff, students, and families) enjoy each other and our time together at school. We commit to building relationships.
- We believe that West Mercer is a place of emotional and physical safety. We commit to developing social/emotional health in our students.
- We believe that behavior expectations must be clearly communicated and that students’ should be celebrated for appropriate behavior, not just criticized when they fall below behavior expectations. We commit to providing a positive behavior intervention system (PAWS).
- We believe that learning should be personalized to meet the needs of the students in our classrooms and school. We commit to providing differentiated instructional practice.
- We believe that student learning is most likely to occur when we use consistent, research based instructional practices and curricula. We commit to provide the guaranteed and viable curriculum mandated by the District and approved through School Board vote.
- We believe that critical thinking and analytical/processing skills are crucial for future global opportunities. We commit to culture and foster these important thinking and problem solving skills.
- We believe that every child needs appropriate challenge. We commit to continually improving our instructional practice so that we can grow ALL students’ skill and understanding.
- We believe that every person (including us adults) can learn. We commit to learn from each other and from experts in a variety of fields.
5:00 PM - 9:00 PM MISD School Board Meeting
4:30 PM - 6:00 PM MIEA Executive Board
4:30 PM - 6:00 PM MIEA Representative Council meeting
November 4, 2021
9:30 AM - 11:59 PM WM BOD Meeting
November 9, 2021
9:00 AM - 1:00 PM WM Picture Retakes