Northwood Elementary dedication and open house set for June 18
May 25, 2016 – The community is invited to the dedication and open house for the new Northwood Elementary from 9:00 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, June 18 at the school, 4030 86th Ave. S.E.
“We are looking forward to showing our community this spectacular new building and how it will benefit our students,” said Superintendent Dr. Gary Plano. “We are grateful for the support our community gave to this project with their passage of the 2014 bond proposition.”
Northwood will be the fourth elementary school in the Mercer Island School District and will open for classes when the 2016-17 school year begins Aug. 31. Aimee Batliner-Gillette is principal and Jill Ravenscraft is associate principal.
Northwood will serve about 450 students in grades Pre-K to 5. Attendance boundaries were redrawn to accommodate the school, the first new elementary to be constructed on Mercer Island in over 50 years.
Northwood is designed by Mahlum Architects of Seattle. Bayley Construction of Mercer Island is the general contractor. The building is 77,000 square feet and the site includes:
- 20 general-purpose classrooms
- Two developmental preschool classrooms
- Eight shared learning areas
- Radiant floor heating in classrooms
- Library/Kitchen / Commons / Administrative and Counseling areas
- Gym that includes a high school-sized basketball court along with volleyball, badminton, and various other school sports.
- Parking on the east side of the site that will accommodate 67 high school students during the school day, after school use by Mary Wayte Pool, and event parking for various activities on the North Mercer Complex.
- Dedicated bus loop off SE 40th Street
- Parking and student loading on west side
- Frontage improvements on 86th Avenue SE and along the south side of SE 40th Street.
- Restoration of the Madrone Grove at the corner of 86th SE and SE 40th St.
- An 8,200 square foot green roof
- A 99.9 kilowatt-hour solar array
For more information contact: