Immunization Requirements for School Attendance

  • All completed CIS (Certificate of Immunization Status) forms must be medically verified prior to the child's enrollment in school.  Medically Verified options include:
    • Validated CIS form printed from IIS (WA Immunization Information System); or

    • CIS printed from MyIR; or

    • If completing CIS by hand, a healthcare provider's signature at the bottom or validation by a school nurse, administrator or designee with vaccination records attached

    Washington Immunization Law - Parents Need to Know

    Per WA State Law, if your child is not in compliance or in conditional (temporary) immunization status by the first day of school, he/she will not be allowed to attend until records are complete.

    Refer to Chapter 246-105 WAC (Immunization of Child Care and School Children Against Certain Vaccine-Preventable Diseases) for additional information.

    • Students have the right to attend school without the threat of exposure to certain vaccine-preventable diseases.

    • To attend school, students are required to submit a completed Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS), or Certificate of Exemption (COE), that demonstrates a compliant immunization status according to state law before starting. Refer to WAC 246-105-030.

    • Students not fully immunized, or students attending school under conditional status who fail to make satisfactory progress, must be excluded from school. Refer to WAC 246-105-080.

    Accessing a Student's Immunization Information
    Washington State rules' require student immunization information provided to schools be on an official Washington State Department of Health Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS) form.

    Please note: For any option used to retrieve Immunization information, the parent/guardian must sign in both places near the top of the CIS form before submitting during the enrollment process.

    • Option 1: Access Washington State Immunization Registry (MyIR) online. Using MyIR allows parents/guardians to view, download and print (on the official immunization certificate accepted by the school) their child's immunizations.

    • Option 2: Request your child's immunization record from their healthcare provider.  If the provider uses the WA II System to input immunizations, they can print a pre-filled CIS form with the immunization dates as required for enrollment.

    • Option 3: Request an immunization record from the Department of Health by contacting or calling 1-866-397-0337. This is the same information available on MyIR but requires calling in the request and providing written consent before the immunization information can be mailed (immunization information will not be provided over the phone).

    • Option 4: Print a blank CIS form from WA DOH (see link above), enter all immunization dates, sign and date it, and submit during the Enrollment Process.

    Link to CDC website (information for other states):

    Vaccination Information
    Parents and guardians are asked to make many important health care decisions for their children including immunizations. The Washington State Department of Health provides a guide called "Plain Talk About Childhood Immunizations" to help parents and guardians make informed decisions by providing accurate information about immunizations and the diseases they prevent, benefits and risks and vaccine safety and effectiveness.

    Tips for Locating Old Immunization Records