Latest District Announcements
The events of this past week cannot be met with silence. The death of George Floyd that led to the protests across our nation cannot be ignored. If we let this week go by and do not take the time and opportunity to have direct and open conversations about race with our children, then that is a shame.
Visit mercerislandschools.org/kindergarten for complete information.
The District is committed to providing consistent, updated information to our families during this time of extended closure.
The appointment is effective July 1 and was approved by the School Board at its April 23 meeting.
Kelly is currently the principal of Highland Park High School in Dallas, where he has served since 2010.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources
- Our website, at mercerislandschools.org/coronavirus, is updated regularly with information regarding COVID-19
- Washington State Health Department coronavirus page (中文 , Русский, Tiếng Việt, 한국어 ) ;
- Public Health - Seattle and King County Coronavirus Information page (新型冠状病毒, 신종 코로나바이러스, Новый штамм коронавируса);
- Public Health: What to do if you have confirmed or suspected COVID-19 or are worried that you may have COVID-19
- CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html (关于冠状病毒疾病 2019).
- Superintendent of Public Instruction, Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in K-12 Schools Parent Guide
Resources for Parents and Students about COVID-19
• Mercer Island Parent Edge 3-2-1 newsletters offer extensive resources for parents.
• If you are a student or parent needing assistance with basic needs, contact the Community Resource number at 211.
• For crisis support, contact the King County Crisis Center at 866-CRISIS (866-427-4747) which is accessible 24 hours a day.
• Students needing to talk to someone can access trained peers at Teen Link. To access them via chat, text or phone go to https://www.teenlink.org/.
Helping Children and Teens Cope With Anxiety about COVID-19 (Seattle Children's)
DOH Parent and Caretaker Resources and Recommendations- Includes a “helping children cope” chart which addresses the reactions children of different ages may have and recommended adult responses.
Just for Kids: A Comic Exploring the New Coronavirus- Using expect advice, NPR editor Malaka Gharib created this comic to help answer kid’s questions about COVID-19.
NASP: Talking to Children about COVID-19- A resource for parents on how to talk with their children about COVID-19.
Talking to Kids About the Coronavirus- Advice for parents from the Child Mind Institute.
Teaching Kids Media Smarts During Breaking News- Advice parents can offer kids and teens who consume the news.
CDC: Stigma and Resilience- Suggestions from the CDC on how to help counter stigma during the COVID-19 response.
Multilingual Novel Coronavirus fact sheets
Social Media Feeds
5:00 PM - 6:30 PM School Board Special Meeting
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM MIHS Graduation
4:30 PM - 6:00 PM MIEA Executive Board
June 11, 2020
5:00 PM - 9:00 PM School Board Meeting
June 12, 2020
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM Elementary Early Release for grading
June 19, 2020
June 22, 2020