Principal's Message Continued From The Home Page
Drop off and Pick up reminders:
Just a few safety reminders when dropping off and picking up students:
Please watch out for ALL students. We have students from Kindergarten - 5th grade being dropped off and picked up. While we have a Safety Parapro out supervising, kids can sometimes be impulsive.
Drive SLOWLY. Watch CAREFULLY. Pull FORWARD to keep the line moving. Only let students exit/enter your vehicle on the curbside.
When picking up after school, wait at the top of the hill until 5 minutes before school is out (3:40 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday and 2:00 on Wednesday).
Family BINGO Night
Thursday, January 17th, 6:30-8:00
This is a new PTSA family engagement event. Pre-registration is required. http://www.westmercerpta.org/events-and-activities/bingo-night/
If you have questions, please contact the PTSA.
PTSA Sponsored READ-A-THON
January 19th—January 28th (with a fun kick-off event scheduled for 1/19 at Island Books from 6-8pm)
New this year from our PTSA is a READ-A-THON. This event is meant to encourage reading for pleasure, please look for more details to come soon from PTSA.
Calling all Incoming Kindergarten Families! We are having our Kindergarten Roundup on Monday, January 28th from 6-7 PM. Please join us in the West Mercer Library to learn all about the kindergarten experience. PASS this on to neighbors and friends in our boundary area—the sooner we know the number of incoming kindergarteners the better we are able to plan (staffing and room assignments) for next year.
We like to celebrate our students. We celebrate daily their academic and behavioral achievements and annually we celebrate our varied cultures as well as scientific adventures. We also like to celebrate our students’ artistic endeavors, with events like PTSA Reflections, music concerts, and the all-district Fine Arts celebration. Along with all of these events each year we plan for an extra event to celebrate student talents. Last year we featured a Musical (written and performed by our own students), this year we will feature a Talent Show. The Talent Show will be on the evening of February 8th—so make your plans to attend and perhaps to participate! Check out the West Mercer Website for more details and to sign up. Talent Show Application (The Talent Show information is one of the rotating banners at the top of the screen)
Dates of Note for January:
- January 17: PTSA sponsored Family BINGO Night, MUST RSVP to PTSA
- January 19-28: PTSA READ-A-THON (kick off event 1/19, Island Books, 6-8pm)
- January 21: Martin Luther King Jr. Day (NO SCHOOL)
- January 22: 5th Grade Orchestra Curriculum Night, at IMS
- January 23: Parent Edge event: Parenting with Identity in Mind, 11:30-1:30, MI Community and Events Center
- January 23: Parent Edge event: Beyond Sticks and Stones: Helping Youth Navigate Conflict and Bullying, 7-9pm, MI Community Center
- January 23: PTSA sponsored Non-Competitive Spelling Bee, WM library, 2:00-3:00
- January 24: 5th Grade Band Curriculum Night, at IMS (6:30-8:30)
- January 28: Kindergarten Roundup for 2019-20 School Year (6:00-7:00)
- January 30: PTSA sponsored Competitive Spelling Bee, WM library, 2:00-4:00
- February 8: Talent Show, WM MPR, 7-8pm
As you can see, January will be a busy month! In fact, January is my favorite month during the school year. Yes, there are other months (all of them in fact) that have their own positive events and experiences; September, for example, is always one of such hope and enthusiasm, but January is my all-time favorite. It is a time when we actually get to settle in and “do school”. We are done with the “this is how we do it here” lessons of September and October and of course the holiday interruptions of November and December…now we LEARN! January is a month of great growth and is usually very satisfying for both students and staff. Here’s a hope and belief that January 2019 will be a great month for all of us!
Carol Best Melanie Ready
Principal Associate Principal
West Mercer Elementary West Mercer Elementary & Northwood Elementary