The Mercer Island Inclusive Preschool Program is located at Northwood Elementary School. Children attend half-day sessions in the morning or afternoon on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Classrooms vary in size, generally ranging from 8 to 12 students with an average of 10, and are taught by a highly qualified group of educators who specialize in early childhood development and education. Each class is taught by a Washington State certified teacher and up to two trained teacher assistants. Other related service staff (Speech-Language Pathologist, Occupational Therapist, Psychologist, Physical Therapist and other Education Specialists) are in the classrooms according to the needs of the students in the class.
Peer Mentor Interest Page - Go to this page to learn more about how your child can attend MISD Preschool and be a peer mentor.
The program offers a 'hands-on' teaching approach to promote academic, social, communicative, behavioral, and motoric growth and development. Our curriculum is a comprehensive, research-based curriculum that features inquiry, exploration, and discovery as the foundation of all learning. As a content-rich, developmentally appropriate curriculum, it delivers academic rigor alongside social-emotional learning and cognitive development.
Our inclusive preschool program serves children with and without delays in development. Children who attend this program are:
*Students qualifying in one area like communication only will receive individual services as agreed upon by the IEP Team.
Family engagement is an integral part of an early learning program. Our program offers many ways for families to engage both during and outside of their child’s school day. During the school day, staff engage families through Seesaw, an application allowing families to gain a window into their student’s learning. Additionally, weekly newsletters, including learning grids, provide families insight on the learning for the week. Progress updates are also provided during reporting time.
- Students who have qualified for special education services due to delay in development which may involve the areas of speech/language, fine motor, gross motor, social, cognitive and/or self-help.
- Peer models developing at a rate commensurate with developmental milestones in language, self-care, social skills, cognitive, fine, and gross motor skills. We welcome between 4-6 peers per classroom. Peers pay a monthly tuition. This allows us to provide an inclusive learning environment for children with a wide range of skill development, enabling all of the students to interact with and learn from one another.
Inclusive Preschool Peer Mentors
PRESCHOOL PEER APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2022-23 SCHOOL YEAR
Thank you for your interest in the Mercer Island Inclusive Preschool Program. The application window for the 2022-23 school year will open April 18, 2022 and will remain open until seats are full.
Peer Mentor Interest Form - Fill out this form to apply for preschool and be a peer mentor.
Acceptance to the program will be determined based on all of the above criteria, including the screening process.
Tuition & Fees: $300 per month for peers
Transportation: (working on this service; will be updated soon)
Hours: AM session: 9:30am- 12:00pm and PM session: 12:45pm- 3:15pm
Days: Preschool is in session Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Wednesdays are reserved for screening, testing, conferences and training.
- Be residents of Mercer Island School District
- Be three years old by September 1, 2022
- Demonstrate strong communication and social skills
- Participate in a screening process