Snow Closure Information
MISD Plan to Monitor Weather Conditions and School Impacts
When snow or inclement weather is in the forecast, we have a plan in place to assess and monitor weather and road conditions overnight and in the early morning hours. Our goal is to make information available to families about school closures or changes in school operations by 5:00am, but this can be delayed due to changing conditions.
Winter weather may bring road and driving conditions that cause changes in school operations such as delayed opening, early dismissal, or closure. The District takes into consideration the conditions on Mercer Island but also in surrounding areas where staff make their commute. The Superintendent, Director of Transportation, Director of Operations and Maintenance, and other administrators collaborate in the days leading up to a weather event to make sound and safe decisions during the weather event.
- How do we decide to delay or cancel school?
- Why doesn't MISD just move to online or remote learning rather than canelling school?
- What does a school closure mean?
- What does a two-hour delay mean?
- How do we notify families of school closures or delay?
- What does limited bus transportation mean?
- What does no transportation mean?
How do we decide to delay or cancel school?
Why doesn't MISD just move to online or remote learning rather than canelling school?
What does a school closure mean?
What does a two-hour delay mean?
How do we notify families of school closures or delay?
What does limited bus transportation mean?
What does no transportation mean?
Tips for Families
- Remember, some areas of Mercer Island experience more severe driving conditions than others.
- School closures and schedule changes are District wide, even if your neighborhood is not severely impacted.
- Changes to school operations apply for that day only.
- If no announcement is made by Mercer Island School District during inclement weather, schools and buses are operating normally.
- If conditions change rapidly or unexpectedly, we may need to make a quick decision to cancel school or send students home early.
- Continue to look for updated announcements throughout the day. The district may also cancel after school activities, athletics and extra-curricular events due to inclement weather on 2-hour late start days.
- Be sure your student is dressed in warm clothing (coat, gloves, hat, and boots).