Skip To Main Content

Kindergarten Enrollment For 2023-24 Now Open

Kindergarten Enrollment For 2023-24 Now Open
MISD Communications

Kindergarten registration for the 2023-24 school year begins on Wednesday, February 1, 2023. Elementary students will enroll in their home schools and registration will open online at that time. Children must be 5 years old by August 31, 2023, to register for kindergarten for the 2023-2024 school year. 

To register for the 2023-24 school year complete the Online Enrollment process starting Wednesday, February 1, 2023.

All four elementary schools in the Mercer Island School District hosted a Kindergarten Information Night on Tuesday, January 31, from 6-7pm. The Information Night at each elementary school was a great opportunity for families of future kindergarteners to ask questions of the school Principal and find out why we believe MISD is the best option for your family as you start on your education journey. Kindergarten Information Night was an in-person event.

Families can find out their home school location via our boundary map. For questions about school boundaries, contact Jen Williamson in the Transportation Department, 206-236-3335.

We encourage families to enroll as soon as possible. This helps us forecast class sizes and staffing needs for the coming school year. 

Important Note:  We will be migrating to a new version of Skyward (Qmlativ) over the summer.  To allow for time to process applications and prepare for migration, please submit enrollment applications by Friday, June 16th as the online enrollment portal will not be available beginning June 17th through August 6th.  The application will be back online beginning Monday, August 7th

New Families: To begin registering click on the Online Enrollment process starting February 1, 2023. In the video below MISD Communications Coordinator Ian Henry talked to 2021-22 school year kindergarteners in advance of last year's Kindergarten Information Night, which was for the current school year (2022-23). The fun video gives future kindergarten families an idea of what to expect in kindergarten. 

Home Language Survey

As part of the online enrollment process, information from the Home Language Survey (HLS) is used to determine if testing is necessary for both foreign-born and U.S.-born English Language Learner students. Home Language Surveys translations can be found here. However, the HLS translations are for reference purposes only. Parents must fill out the English-language version of the Home Language Survey during their online enrollment process. 

Families with children currently enrolled can log in to Skyward Family Access to enroll additional children.

Before beginning online enrollment, parents must read the Establishing and Verifying Residency Form (3120 F1) and have the required documents outlined in it available to upload. The process will take approximately 20-30 minutes; parents can save as they go and do not have to complete it all in one sitting.

  • Copy of Official Birth Certificate or Passport (Required for all Kindergarten and 1st-grade enrollments).
  • Two (2) Proofs of Residency are required. - See 3120 F1 for acceptable forms of proof of residency.
  • Completed Certificate of Immunization (CIS) is required. (Enrollment applications will not be processed until this form has been completed.) (See Immunization Requirements).
  • Custody/Court Order if applicable
  • Restraining Order if applicable

Reminder: Children must be five years old by August 31, 2023, to register for the coming school year, (2023-2024) (see policy 3110).

Elementary Attendance Boundaries
Elementary students will enroll in their home schools. To verify which school your student will attend, based on your home address, download a copy of the Boundary Map. You can also use our transportation tool called e-Link which helps families verify their student’s school and the school bus stop location nearest to their home address.

Immunization Requirements
Washington State Law RCW28A.210.080 requires school-age children to receive specific immunizations in order to attend school. Proof of immunizations from a family physician or local health department is required. The parent/guardian needs to transfer this information to a Certificate of Immunization (CIS) form and sign the certificate to verify its accuracy and will upload a copy in the “Requested Documents” section of the online enrollment application. See the state Immunization Requirements.

more news