Latest IMS Announcements
Packet of information were distributed in 6th and 7th grade Math classes at IMS on Monday, March 12th, to all current students. Please review all of the material included and register for courses online via Skyward by March 30th. Hard copies of registration worksheets are due back to Math teachers by that same date, March 30th. Contact your student's Counselor with any questions.
Each year, MISD families are asked to participate in an Educational Effectiveness Survey to help the District determine areas of strength and opportunities for improvement. Additionally, we are conducting a review of our Highly Capable Programming in the District.
Dear Islander Families,
It is so hard to believe that March is upon us already. Our second trimester ends on March 9th with final grades being posted to Skyward by March 20th. Our third and final trimester begins on Monday, March 12th. We continue to be so proud of our students and how they challenge themselves academically as well as committing themselves to being positive, contributing members of our community.
The Character Dare for the month of March is respect. We are defining respect as treating others with dignity and esteem. We are asking students to focus on appreciating the people, places, and things that make our everyday world possible, and asking them to consider how often they go out of their way to show the community we are a part of (school, MI, home/family) respect by doing little deeds that show and demonstrate big appreciation.
Our Character Dares for the month of March are as follows:
- Character Dare Week #1 (March 5 through March 9) = When your parents/guardians ask you to do something this week, do it happily the first time you are asked.
- Character Dare Week #2 (March 12 through March 16) = Choose one person in your school, family or community who has served or is serving in the military. Thank that person for her/his service.
- Character Dare Week #3 (March 19 through March 23) = Choose a chore for the week (for example walking the dog, doing the dishes, vacuuming) and do it every day without being asked.
- Character Dare Week #4 (March 26 through March 30) = Spend an extra minute cleaning up around the lunchroom.
Additionally, March is registration season for the 2018/2019 school year. We wanted to give families of incoming 7th and 8th graders an overview of how the registration process will work this year. In an effort to streamline the process and provide parents a forum to meet their individual needs and busy schedules, we are offering the following opportunities:
- Monday, March 12th, IMS will be placing short videos on the website about frequently asked questions regarding the registration process. These videos will be the primary method for parents to receive information about topics such as foreign language, fine arts requirements, PE waivers and filling out the registration worksheets.
- During the week of March 12th, all current 6th and 7th graders will receive their registration worksheet in their math class as well as directions on how to register online (this is a new feature for 18/19 registration)
- On Thursday, March 15th, IMS counselors and administrators will be available in the IMS commons to answer specific questions that parents may have on a drop-in basis. There will be 2 sessions:
Session 1: 8:30-9:45 am
Session 2: 4:00-5:30 pm
Parents who still have questions after watching the videos, reviewing the registration materials, and talking with their child are welcome to drop in to either session and get their questions answered. In addition, students/parents who need support registering online can come to register here at school. There will be no formal presentations during these sessions.
By Friday, March 30th, all students need to have completed the registration process online. Once the process is complete, students are to return their completed registration form to their math teacher. Students who do not register by March 30th are less likely to receive the courses they desire, so it is important the timelines are met.
We hope you will find this registration process to be efficient and personalized to meet your needs.
Finally, the Mercer Island School Board will be doing a Site Visit at Islander Middle School on Tuesday, March 13th. There is an opportunity for parents to meet with the School Board during this visit. Please feel welcome to join us in the Library from 10:45 am to 11:15 am.
Tara Stone, Aaron Miller, and Mary Jo Budzius
Islander Middle School is the only public middle school on Mercer Island and is host to sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students. IMS is located on the south end of the island at 7447 84th Ave. SE.Co-principals Mary Jo Budzius and Aaron Miller, along with associate principal Tara Stone, lead approximately 75 staff members and 1,000 students. IMS utilizes district-adopted curriculum as the foundation for its core classes as well as offering a variety of engaging learning electives.
7447 84th Ave SEMercer Island, WA 98040PHONE: 206-236-3413FAX: 206-236-3408ABSENCES: 206-236-3400Mary Jo Budzius Co-PrincipalAaron Miller Co-PrincipalTara Stone Associate Principal
6:00 PM - 7:30 PM IMS Gator for a Night for incoming 6th graders and their families
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM MI Parent Edge: The Gift of Failure
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM All-District Choir Concert Rehearsal
7:00 PM - 8:00 PM All-District Choir Concert
5:00 PM - 9:00 PM School Board Meeting
March 27, 2018
4:15 PM - 6:00 PM MIEA Rep Council
5:30 PM - 9:30 PM Fine Arts Showcase Visual Arts
March 28, 2018
5:30 PM - 9:30 PM Fine Arts Showcase Performing Arts