Skip To Main Content

New Student Enrollment

Dear Mercer Island Family,

We want to welcome you to the Mercer Island School District. Thank you very much for taking the time to enroll your child(ren) in MISD.

If you would like to enroll your child in elementary, middle, or high school, please see below for the required documentation, including Residency Verification. When submitting your child's completed CIS (Certificate of Immunization Status) form, it must be medically verified, either signed by a physician's office or downloaded from the WA IIS with the physician's information. If your child does not have complete immunization records or is not in a conditional (temporary) status, your child will not be allowed to attend on the first day of school.  See the Immunization Requirements page for more details. 

You can learn more about each of our schools by reading the school profile of each school.

MIHS Profile    IMS Profile    Island Park Profile    Lakeridge Profile    Northwood Profile   West Mercer Profile

Ask Us An Enrollment Question

If you have a enrollment question and you are not finding the answer on our website, you can reach out to us via our Prospective MISD Student/Families Contact Form. The form has several question selection options that will help us route your question to the correct staff member that can provide answers.

MISD is closed to nonresident student enrollment in the 2023-24 school year. Visit our Open Enrollment FAQ page for more information on nonresident student enrollment, a topic the Superintendent and Board are discussing as a possibility in the 2024-25 school year.  

Enrollment for the 2023-24 school year is currently open.
Enrollment for the 2024-25 school year is now open for all grade levels.

Note: If you currently have a student in MISD you do not need to enroll for 2024-25. Your student will be rolled up to the next grade level automatically. If your student is attending MIHS or IMS you will need to reach out to your counselor to register for classes if you have not done so already. 

Register for the 2024-25 school year 

Each school year, parents must complete the RSVP process to acknowledge important policies and complete required forms for schools. Parents will need to complete the RSVP process for each of their students by logging into Qmlativ's (Skyward) Family Access Portal. These Qmlativ RSVP instructions will help parents complete the process.

Qmlativ Informational Brochure (PDF)

Families with children currently enrolled can log in to Qmlativ to enroll additional children.

Education Ombuds Awareness
The Washington State Office of Education Ombuds (OEO) listens, shares information and referrals, and works with families, communities, and schools to address concerns so that every student can fully participate and thrive in our state’s public schools. OEO provides support in multiple languages and has telephone interpretation available. To get help or learn more about what OEO does, please visit their website:;  email, or call:  1-866-297-2597 (interpretation available).

Home Language Survey
As part of the online enrollment process, information from the Home Language Survey (HLS) is used to determine if testing is necessary for both foreign-born and U.S.-born English Language Learner students. Home Language Surveys translations can be found here. However, the HLS translations are for reference purposes only. Parents must fill out the English-language version of the Home Language Survey during their online enrollment process. 

Before beginning online enrollment, parents must read the Establishing and Verifying Residency Form (3120 F1) and have the required documents outlined in it available to upload. The process will take approximately 20-30 minutes; parents can save as they go and do not have to complete it all in one sitting.

  • Copy of Official Birth Certificate or Passport (Required for all Kindergarten and 1st-grade enrollments).
  • Two (2) Proofs of Residency are required. - See 3120 F1 for acceptable forms of proof of residency.
  • Completed Certificate of Immunization (CIS) is required. (Enrollment applications will not be processed until this form has been completed.) (See Immunization Requirements).
  • Custody/Court Order if applicable
  • Restraining Order if applicable

Reminder: Children must be five years old by August 31, 2023, to register for the coming school year, (2023-2024) (see policy 3110).

Elementary Attendance Boundaries
Elementary students and families should begin the school enrollment process at their home schools. To verify which school your student will attend, based on your home address, download a copy of the Boundary Map. You can also use our Find My Bus |Find My School Tool tool which helps families verify their student’s school and the school bus stop location nearest to their home address.

The schools make every attempt possible to enroll students in their home attendance school. Due to capacity, in some instances a student or family may be placed at a school outside of their home attendance area. The school registrar and principal will work with families in these circumstances.

Email Patrick Rock at the Transportation Department or call 206-236-3337, for questions about school boundaries.

Immunization Requirements
Washington State Law RCW28A.210.080 requires school-age children to receive specific immunizations in order to attend school. Proof of immunizations from a family physician or local health department is required. The parent/guardian needs to transfer this information to a Certificate of Immunization (CIS) form and sign the certificate to verify its accuracy and will upload a copy in the “Requested Documents” section of the online enrollment application. See the state Immunization Requirements.