Mercer Island School District offers the opportunity for students who are fluent in a language other than English to be able to test for possible high school credit. Please review the information below to determine if your student is eligible.
Testing language options:
- Mandarin Chinese (simplified and traditional)
- Portuguese (Brazilian)
Step 1: Determine if you're eligible
Is the student in 9th grade or higher? If not, please wait until your child enters high school before nominating for this test.
If the student can answer "Yes, I can do this fairly easily" to all of the statements in a language other than English, then they will probably be able to earn at least 1-2 credits. If the student can answer "Yes, I can do this very easily" to all of the statements, then they may be able to earn 3-4 credits when they get tested.
- Listening- I can understand ideas on familiar topics expressed through phrases, short sentences, and frequently used expressions.
- Reading- I can understand the main idea and some details in simple texts that contain familiar vocabulary.
- Person to Person Communication- I can exchange information with another person about familiar tasks, topics, and activities.
- Spoken Production- I can use a series of phrases and sentences to provide basic information about familiar topics.
- Writing- I can write simple descriptions and short messages and request or provide information on familiar topics.
Step 2: Register for the assessment
If you believe that the student has the fluency to obtain credits for a language other than English, please complete the nomination form
and make the payment for the assessment costs. Please note that students must be in high school in order to receive credit from these assessments. The registration window is October 19-27, 2020, closing by end of the day on the 27th. Students will be able to complete the assessments online at home between Oct 30-Nov 3, 2020.
Step 3: Payment
The cost of these assessments is incurred by the family. The registration fee will be added to the student's ASB account.
Cost: $40 per test
Step 4: Take the assessment
In late April/early May students will receive an email with instructions for setting up and scheduling the assessment at home.
Step 5: Receive the results
After the results are processed, you will be notified of these results and you will receive a ranking that may range from 0-4 credits.