Mercer Island School District offers the opportunity for students who are fluent in a language other than English to be able to test for possible high school credit. Please review the information below to determine if your child is eligible.
Testing language options:
Step 1: Determine if you're eligible
Is the student in 9th grade or higher? If not, please wait until your child enters high school before nominating for this test.
If you can answer "Yes, I can do this fairly easily" to all of the statements in a language other than English, then you will probably be able to earn at least 1-2 credits. If you can answer "Yes, I can do this very easily" to all of the statements, then you may be able to earn 3-4 credits when you get tested.
- Listening- I can understand ideas on familiar topics expressed through phrases, short sentences, and frequently used expressions.
- Reading- I can understand the main idea and some details in simple texts that contain familiar vocabulary.
- Person to Person Communication- I can exchange information with another person about familiar tasks, topics, and activities.
- Spoken Production- I can use a series of phrases and sentences to provide basic information about familiar topics.
- Writing- I can write simple descriptions and short messages and request or provide information on familiar topics.
Step 2: Register for the assessment
If you believe that you will be able to pass with a degree of proficiency that will equate to credit, please register for the assessment
. Registration will close on November 1, 2019, at 5 pm.
Step 3: Pay for the assessment
The cost of these assessments is incurred by the family. Please follow the directions at the end of the registration page to complete your payment or click here
. If you have not paid by the end of the nomination window, the student will be unable to test.
Cost: $40 per test
Step 4: Take the assessment
Dates will be posted as they are set. Special scheduling will not be possible, please make arrangements to test on the stated date. Testing occurs both before and after school, and students must attend both sessions. More information will be provided closer to testing. Please plan on a before and after school testing session.
Fall 2019- Testing will occur on November 6, 2019, from 7:15 AM - 8:30 AM AND from 3:10 PM - 4:30 PM at MIHS.
Step 5: Receive the results
After the results are processed, you will be notified of these results and you will receive a ranking that may range from 0-4 credits.