Principal's Message Continued From The Home Page
Part of our work this time of year includes creating classes for next year. We have an extensive process that allows for input from specialists, support staff (Special Education, Learning Support, ELL, Counselor, PALS, etc.) and your child’s current classroom teacher. We know your child as a student and how they interact with their peers. We take the building of classroom communities very seriously and look to bring together students that will support each other in academic and social-emotional success. If you have additional information about your child(ren) that you would like for us to consider (we cannot guarantee a placement, we must consider the needs of ALL students) while we create the classes and assign next year’s teachers, please complete the Special Considerations Form. This, of course, is not required, but optional if you feel you have information that should be considered in our placement process. Please be aware that any form that calls out a teacher by name (either because you want your child to have them OR you want your child not to have them) will not be considered, per Board Policy.
All Special Considerations forms are due on Wednesday, May 15th. This will allow us to take your input into consideration while we are forming classes.
Staff Appreciation Week—May 6th through May 10th
Please refer to our PTSA website or your child’s classroom parent for information about the special events that the PTSA has planned for our staff. Thank you on behalf of all of us at West Mercer! We feel appreciated and sometimes even spoiled by our amazing students and families!
Mercer Island School Board visits West Mercer
On Tuesday, May 14th the School Board will visit West Mercer to observe instruction in the classroom, discuss and learn from students, connect with staff, and hear from parents. Please consider joining us from 11-11:30 on 5/14 to share your opinions of West Mercer and the district as a whole with our hard-working School Board members!
Mark your calendars—2 breakfasts coming your way!
West Mercer MISF liaisons will be hosting a breakfast on Wednesday, May 29th from 8:00-9: 00 A.M. at West Mercer. This fun family event is an annual fundraiser for the Mercer Island Schools Foundation, be looking for more details to come!
Volunteer Breakfast June 5th
The West Mercer staff and students invite you to attend our annual “thank you” breakfast for all of our dedicated volunteers. This breakfast will be Wednesday, June 5th from 8:00-9: 00 A.M. and includes childcare for the children of parents attending the breakfast. Be on the lookout for more details coming soon!
Dates of Note for April and May:
- May 2: Spring Music Concert at 7 P.M.
- May 3: Parent Playground (12:20-1:00 K-2 and 12:45-1:25 3-5)
- May 6-May 10: Teacher/Staff Appreciation Week
- May 8: Spring into Kindergarten (individual student signups)
- May 14-May 16: Scholastic Book Fair
- May 14: Mercer Island School Board visit to West Mercer
- May 15: Bike to School
- May 24: School in Session (Weather Make Up for February snow storm)
- May 27: Memorial Day (NO SCHOOL)
- May 29: West Mercer MISF Family Breakfast, 8-9am @ West Mercer
- May 31: Principal’s Coffee, 9:30 A.M.
- May 31: PAC (Parent Advisory Council), 10 A.M.
- June 5: Volunteer Breakfast 8-9am @ West Mercer, childcare available for attendees’ children
- June 6: PTSA sponsored “Spring Fling”
- June 7: FINAL Parent Playground this year (12:20-1:00 K-2 and 12:45-1:25 3-5)
- June 14: Report Card prep (12:00 dismissal—no lunch served)
- June 14: All Island Track Meet
- June 17: 5th-grade party
- June 18: Field Day (9:45-10:45 for K-2, 11:00-12:00 for 3-5)
- June 19: Kindergarten End of the Year Celebration
- June 21: Final Day of School (11:00 dismissal—no lunch served)
As the weather improves and we all welcome the change that allows us to spend more time outdoors, we are reminded just how lucky we are to work in a community that values childhood and children. Thank you for supporting the children of West Mercer—we appreciate where your hearts are!
Carol Best Melanie Ready
Principal Associate Principal
West Mercer Elementary West Mercer Elementary & Northwood Elementary