Principal's Message Continued From The Home Page
It seems so long ago now, but the final week of January was the Great Kindness Challenge week and we had great participation this year! Most students at West Mercer participated in this challenge to create a kind community! Unfortunately, with the snow storm hitting us right after the week we were not able to close it up as well as we had hoped. Students have now received a sticker to show their pride in being “kindness certified” and our students with the highest level of participation will also be receiving “kindness matters” pencils. What I am very happy to report is that kindness is continuing at West Mercer. In many classrooms they are continuing to promote and track acts of kindness. Thank you to all who have supported this effort as I believe it really is true that KINDNESS MATTERS!
Talent Show—This Friday, March 8th
The Bi-annual West Mercer Talent Show will be this Friday from 7-8:30. All are welcome and there is no charge to attend. Come see the many talented students we have at West Mercer!
The annual West Mercer Science Fair is coming! This event is another highlight of our school year and I encourage you to “save the date”, whether your child plans to participate or merely observe. It is an evening to remember, again sponsored by West Mercer PTSA. Date and Time: Wednesday, March 13th.
With spring comes our annual state testing requirements. The main purpose of these tests is to see how the school and school district is doing (are we appropriately serving students). These tests are just one mark during the entire school year for students and as such are never taken in isolation when looking at a single student’s performance. All students in grades 3rd, 4th, and 5th will have 4 days of testing—2 for ELA (reading and writing) and 2 for math. Most students complete these tests before lunch but students are allowed to continue testing until the day is over. In addition, all 5th graders will take a state Science test (this is a single day). We ask that you avoid pulling your child out of school on these testing days and that students arrive on time. The dates for the tests are: Monday, March 25th and Tuesday, March 26th—ELA, Thursday, April 25th—5th grade Science, and Monday, April 29th and Tuesday, April 30th—Math.
Lost and Found
It is strongly recommended that you write your child’s name on the items that they bring to school (lunch boxes, water bottles, and ESPECIALLY coats and sweaters). Items that are left behind by students that are labeled are returned to them. Items that are left behind by students and are NOT labeled are put on a table by the exit to our buses. The pile of unclaimed items grows bigger each day. Periodically during the year we donate these leftover items to charity. These items will be donated to charity at our spring break. Please encourage your child to collect their missing items BEFORE we leave for spring break!
Dates of Note for March and April:
- March 8: Talent Show, WM gym, 7:00pm-8:30pm
- March 11: School in Session (Weather Make Up Day, make up for missed day on 2/4)
- March 13: Science Fair
- March 15: Principal’s Coffee, 9:30
- March 15: Parent Advisory Council, 10:00-11:00
- March 22: 12:00 dismissal for all students (Progress Report prep day for teachers)
- March 25: 3-5 grades ELA (English Language Arts) SBA (Smarter Balanced Assessment—state test)
- March 26: 3-5 grades ELA (English Language Arts) SBA (Smarter Balanced Assessment—state test)
- March 26: Fine Arts Showcase (Visual Arts focus) MIHS, 5-7pm
- March 27: Fine Arts Showcase (Performing Arts focus) MIHS, 5-7pm
- March 29: Progress Reports available in Skyward at 5:00
- April 1: 5th graders to Islandwood
- April 2: 5th graders at Islandwood
- April 3: 5th graders at Islandwood
- April 4: 5th graders at Islandwood
- April 8-12: Spring Break (NO SCHOOL)
- April 18: PTSA Membership meeting with special guest--Superintendent Donna Colosky @ West Mercer, 9:30
- April 25: 5th grade State Science Assessment (WCAS)
- April 29: Smarter Balanced (SBAC) Math for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades
- April 30: Smarter Balanced (SBAC) Math for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades
- April 30: MISF Breakfast of Champions
As we look towards the end of March and into April, we will be entering important state testing times. Please help us create a positive climate for these assessments by encouraging your child and supporting them with a good night’s sleep and a healthy breakfast. Thank you!
Carol Best Melanie Ready
Principal Associate Principal
West Mercer Elementary West Mercer Elementary & Northwood Elementary