Skip To Main Content

Interpretation and Translation Services

Parent's Rights to Interpretation and Translation Services letter:


All parents have the right to information about their child’s education in a language they understand. When your child enrolls in a Mercer Island school, the school will ask you about the language you would like to use when communicating with the school. This helps your school identify your language needs so they can provide an interpreter or translated documents, free of charge. 

If you have any questions or would like to request an interpreter or translation, your school can help. You can ask anyone in the school for help, or you can ask these staff members:

If you have specific questions or would like to request an interpreter, please leave your name, phone number, and a message and one of our volunteers or district staff members will contact you. If the reason for your call requires immediate attention please call or visit your child’s school and they will arrange for an interpreter to meet with you and the appropriate school representative. 

Home Language Survey

As part of the online enrollment process, information from the Home Language Survey (HLS) is used to determine if testing is necessary for both foreign-born and U.S.-born English Language Learner students. Home Language Surveys translations can be found here. However, the HLS translations are for reference purposes only. Parents must fill out the English-language version of the Home Language Survey during their online enrollment process.