Mercer Island High School Clubs
The purpose of having clubs at MIHS is to allow students to explore and express their interests and passions with other students.
There are many clubs and organizations that students can be involved with, that are both Co-Curricular and Non-Curricular related.
ASB-Leadership's Role with MIHS ClubsThe ASB-Leadership Class oversees and helps MIHS clubs be successful at Mercer Island High School.This is done by:
- Approving new clubs.
- Managing clubs and their active status.
- Approving Fundraisers clubs would like to participate in.
- Approving Events clubs wish to hold at MIHS
School Sponsored vs Student Initiated
School Sponsored: student groups that the District believes significantly relate to and contribute to the learning opportunities of students in a manner consistent with the District’s legal obligations and current educational program offerings and goals They can be curricular or non-Curricular
1. A groups subject matter is actually taught (or will soon be taught) in a regularly offer course.
2. Subject matter concerns the body of a course as a whole
3. Participation in the group is is required for a particular course or results in academic credit.
a. National Honor Society
c. Art Club
Student-Initiated Clubs: A club or activity that does not have an academic component to it and is started by student interest.
i. Must be voluntary and started by students
ii. Not be sponsored by the school district
iii. Can not interfere with educational activities
iv. Students shall be responsible for the direction, control and conduct of the meeting
1. Harry Potter Club
2. Be Kind Club
3. Schools Against Cancer
MISD School Board Policies