A brief look at over 30 years of the MIHS Band ...
Prior to 1976 the MIHS band averaged about 30 members through its formative years. The community of Mercer Island wanted to improve the music program and so formed the Mercer Island Music Advisory Committee. Charged with building a successful and effective music education curriculum, the faculty and community of Mercer Island High School helped the band program grow steadily to over 300 members in 2010. Currently, almost one of every four MIHS students is enrolled in the band program. Under the leadership of Directors Parker Bixby, Ryan Lane, David Bentley and Carol Krell the MIHS Band has experienced great success at both a local and international level and is proud to represent the original intent of the Mercer Island Music Advisory Committee as structured over 30 years ago.
The MIHS music program enjoys wide success for the concert bands, marching band, jazz bands, and steel drum bands with over 300 students participate in the band program. The bands have enjoyed many successes, awards and other accolades over the past decade which include:
- Selected as one of 50 Grammy Signature Schools in recognition for exceptional achievement in arts education 1998-99 and 2002-03
- Performer, Tournament of Roses; Pasadena, California 1993 and 2006
- Invited performer 2010 WMEA State Convention
- Completed a successful ten day cultural and musical exchange in China during 2008
- Sugar Bowl; New Orleans, Louisiana 1991
- Superior Ratings at national festivals including the Dixie Classic Invitational in Washington D.C. and the Heritage Concert Band Festival in Chicago. IL
- Consistent superior ratings in local and regional festivals
- Over 50 students selected to participate in the All-State and All Northwest honor ensembles during the last 5 years
- 4 Students Selected to the National Wind Ensemble under the direction of H. Robert Reynolds
- Performed with world-class musicians such as composer/conductor, Hummie Mann, and composer/performer, Alan Vizzutti.
- Featured performer at Seattle Seahawks Football games
- Invited performer at the 2009 MLS Cup