Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying (HIB): Resources and Reporting
The Mercer Island School District is committed to a safe and civil educational environment for all students, employees, volunteers and parents/legal guardians that is free from harassment, intimidation or bullying. In order to ensure respect and prevent harm, it is a violation of District Policy 3207 for a student to be harassed, intimidated, or bullied by others in the school community, at school sponsored events, or when such actions create a substantial disruption to the educational process.
Other particularized forms of harassment or misconduct are prohibited under the following policies:
If your child feel he/she has been harassed or bullied, the incident(s) should be reported immediately to a teacher, counselor, or principal. Children harrassed or bullied on the bus may report information to the Transportation Department, attention Julie Naylor at 206-236-3337.
District Compliance Officer
To report an instance of harassment, intimidation, or bullying please contact your school administrator first. If your concern is not completely addressed by the school administration, please contact Erin Battersby, Senior Director, at 206-230-6277, email@example.com.
If you wish to report concerns of harrassment anonymously, please leave a voicemail message at 206.230.6227.
Policies, Procedures and Forms
- 3207 Policy: Prohibition of Harassment, Hazing, Intimidation and Bullying
- 3207 Procedures: Reporting Harassment, Hazing, Intimidation and Bullying
- 3207 Form: Incident Reporting Form
- 3210 Policy: Nondiscrimination
- 3210 Procedures: Nondiscrimination
Equity and Civil Rights information
Washington state legal definition
Harassment, intimidation, or bullying means any intentional electronic, written, verbal, or physical act when the intentional electronic, written, verbal, or physical act:
- Physically harms a student or damages the student's property; or
- Has the effect of substantially interfering with a student's education; or
- Is so severe, persistent, or pervasive that it creates an intimidating or threatening educational environment; or
- Has the effect of substantially disrupting the orderly operation of the school.
Other resources and reports