This web page is designed to give information to 19/20 school year paraeducators relative to the state's Paraeducator fundamentals and certification. If you have information you would like posted on this page, please contact Rosie Burns.
- All paraeducators employed during the 19/20 school year must complete their Fundamental Course of Study training by July 31, 2021 and submit timecards by August 10, 2021.
- Paraeducators whose employment began during the 20/21 school year must complete 14 hours of their training by July 31, 2021 and may submit timecards until August 10, 2021 for this year.
Fundamental Course of Study Standards & Certification
In the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 school years, all Washington districts will be providing the 28 hour of training and coursework required for the "Fundamental Course of Study". All paras, regardless of tenure and possessing teacher certification, are required by the new law to complete the Fundamental Course of Study.
Paraeducator certificates are not required at this time. They are optional. To obtain a certificate, a paraeducator must take state clock hour approved courses through OSPI approved clock hour providers. The District is an approved clock hour provider.
Due to the COVID-19 Closures, the original training plan for the 19-20 School Year was amended in April. Paraeducators are required to complete the following online courses will be completed to fulfill the Fundamental Course of Study by June 15, 2021.
When you have completed the online modules, send a screen print of the certificate of completion to HR (email@example.com). Be sure you name shows in the screen print.Paraeducators: What We Do Matters (all modules must be completed)Hoonuit Courses: (Your login is first name last name (i.e. rosie burns) + the password you use to log into your MISD computer)
SafeSchools) (now called Vector Solutions: (select the arrow at the left on your landing page and hover -- it will read "Extra Training", search for the courses listed below)
- Child Development, Ages and Stages (FCS 08 - Child & Adolescent Development)
- Supporting Standards, Supporting Students (FCS 02 - Methods of Educational and Instructional Support)
- Supporting Diverse Learners (FCS 06 - Equity, FCS 10 - Positive & Safe Learning Environment)
- Classroom Safety (FCS 09 - Emergency & Health Safety)
- Online Safety: What Every Educator Needs to Know (FCS 09 - Emergency & Health Safety
In addition, all paraeducators are required to attend two in-person trainings:
- 3 hour introduction, technology basics and roles course
- 4 hour cultural identity & diversity and behavior management techniques
Q: Will I be paid for this training time?
Yes, paraeducators will submit timecards to be paid for this time. Please only do training during the work week, not on the weekends or holidays and not to work in excess of 40 hours per week..
Q: Is this training in addition to our optional training & technology training hours?
Yes, these training hours are in addition. You may use optional training hours for the online training modules if you wish to do more than the modules outlined above.
- All paras will need to complete all 13 modules by the end of the 20/21 school year, July 31, 2021.
Q: What happens if I miss the in-person training?
The district will provide make up opportunities for the in-person training.
This information is provided as a service to District paraeducators. The ability to attend, the payment of fees and the competencies covered by a particular training should be discussed with your supervisor prior to registration.