February 1, 2021
Dear Northwood Families,
We have had a busy start to 2021 as we welcomed our Kindergartners and our 1st grade students back to the Northwood campus for in-person instruction. We have also continued in-person instruction with our students in the Early Childhood Special Education Program and several of our students receiving Special Education Services in-person. Small groups of 2nd-5th grade learners have also been supported on campus through small group “pods” of learners. Our Red Remote learners have also kept busy with their online synchronous and asynchronous learning. We are now fast approaching our 2nd-5th grade learners returning to campus through our Hybrid model. This month, all our students, whether learning on-campus or remotely, have focused on Kindness both as our Focus Character Trait of the Month and as part of our Great Kindness Challenge Week. I hope each of you has been the recipient of an act of kindness and had a chance to pass that kindness on through acts of your own.
This newsletter contains the following content:
- Arrival and Dismissal
- Health Attestations and Community Support
- Northwood International Night
- Mindfulness and Focus Character Trait
- Early Childhood Special Education - Program Schedule Change
- Upcoming Events and Activities
Arrival and Dismissal
In-Person school hours for K-1st students are 9:10am to 12:30pm, Monday through Friday. This same in-person schedule will be in effect for our 2nd-5th grade students as they resume in-person school during the month of February. The playground and school grounds are unsupervised before and after school hours. Please plan for your child to arrive at school no sooner than 9:00am. Children are expected to leave campus at dismissal per their parents daily plan to ensure parents know where they are after school. Please be sure your child’s teacher knows the plan for your child at dismissal. The school grounds are closed to public use from 8:30am - 3:45pm Monday through Friday because we have students on campus throughout the day.
Health Attestations and Community Support
Thank you to all of the Northwood families who have made the daily health attestation process a habit. Health Attestations are a critical part of our MISD COVID-19 Response Plan, and family compliance with this requirement is essential to keeping our schools healthy and safe for students and staff.
For in-person instruction, all students must have a daily health attestation completed before being allowed on campus. Attestations must be completed daily between 5:15am and 8:00am and includes families attesting that their child does not have any symptoms (including a temperature check). Children riding a bus must have a completed attestation prior to boarding the bus. Completing these attestations honestly will be vital to our continued ability to offer In Person learning. All staff will also complete an attestation each day.
Northwood International Night
Once again, our fabulous Northwood PTA is hosting International Night, this time asynchronously. International Night has become a valued opportunity for Northwood families to come together to celebrate our diverse community. This year, the PTA has created a series of videos for families to access asynchronously. In the first week of February, please check out the Northwood PTA Parliament Press or Northwood PTA website for access to the video programming. We hope you enjoy it.
Mindfulness and Monthly Character Trait
Mindfulness learning and character trait focus continues at Northwood. Please see our Mindfulness webpage for more information about the focus of this learning in February.
February’s Focus Character Trait is Empathy.
Early Childhood Special Education - Program Schedule Change
Effective Monday, February 8, 2021, the Early Childhood Special Education classroom program times will change. The new times are as follows:
- Morning Session: 9:30-11:30am
- Afternoon Session: 12:45-2:45pm
Please contact your child’s teacher if you have any questions.
- February 2021: International Night - Asynchronous Event
- 02/02/21: Incoming Kindergarten Parent Information Night (for 2021-22 Kindergarten enrollments), 6pm via Zoom
- 02/03/21: Registration for the 2021-2022 School Year Opens
- 02/04/21 and 02/05/21: Asynchronous Learning Days for 2nd and 3rd Graders
- 02/08/21: First day of In-Person Hybrid Schedule for 2nd and 3rd Grade (2/08/21 is a B day)
- 02/10/21: Mercer Island Youth and Family Services Virtual Fundraising Breakfast @ 7:30am - https://breakfast.miyfs.org/
- 02/15/21 - 02/19/21: NO SCHOOL – Mid-Winter Break
- 2/22/20: School Resumes
- 02/24/21: Target Date for First day of In-Person Hybrid Schedule for 4th and 5th Graders (02/24/21 is a B day) - Subject to Change
Principal | Northwood Elementary