DRIVE-THRU GRADUATION INFORMATION
During the day on June 9th, we will have a diploma drive-thru from 9AM-3PM. These details were messaged out earlier through Schoology and School Messenger on May 20th. In case you missed them, here is the schedule and expectations:
Students, preferably in cap and gown, will pick up their cords & community service pins, diploma jackets on the graduation stage (actual diplomas will be mailed home later in June), and graduation program/senior newspaper/awards at MIHS by visiting different stations set up throughout the diploma drive-thru. Professional photography by Grad Images will take photos of graduates. Our very own MIHS Radio Station will be broadcasting the drive-thru as students come through the loop for a more personalized recognition. Please follow the below schedule based on last name.
SCHEDULE: Tuesday, June 9th
UPDATE: We will live stream the Drive-Through Graduation to the MIHS YouTube Channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUhezAnrBxH0Y20vmHyS4NA. For relatives and friends who are not able to be present due to our social distancing guidelines, they can still watch your student walk across the stage and receive their diploma. Please note, the live stream does not include audio, but below we have details on the Graduation Radio Broadcast.
The following rules will apply and need to be adhered to at all times:
● One vehicle per graduate (unless a student comes from 2 family households and then the 2nd family car must be directly behind the student’s car).
● Each graduate is allowed to bring immediate family (including the graduate) in their vehicle.
● Students and all passengers must arrive on campus wearing a mask or nose & mouth covering.
● Each graduate and their guest(s) must all arrive and depart in the same vehicle.
● All large vehicles such as party buses, religious related vans/buses, or trailers will be prohibited. Only cars, trucks, SUVs and family vans will be allowed.
● Riding in the bed of a truck is prohibited.
● All vehicle occupants must wear seat belts.
● The graduate should be a passenger in order to exit the vehicle and to allow vehicles to keep moving.
● Passengers other than the graduate must remain in the vehicle at all times.
● The graduate may remove their mask for the professional photo after receiving the diploma jacket.
● If graduates have decorated vehicles, the decorating must be done prior to arriving on campus.
● Exchanging of gifts, flowers, cards, etc., must occur off campus.
● Students and families will not be allowed to park or congregate on school property in order to allow all graduates an opportunity to participate in the diploma drive-thru and not cause issues with the traffic flow.
● Any graduate with transportation concerns should contact their alpha administrator prior to June 9th.
● Obey all traffic flow directions and traffic personnel.
● Students grades 9-11(unless they are siblings in the vehicle) will not be allowed on campus to observe the drive-thru event. Participating staff members will wear face coverings and gloves, and adhere to social-distancing guidelines.
Social Distancing Guidelines and Expectations for Staff, Students and Family members:
● Staff and students will wear masks at all times
● Students may remove their masks for photos as social distancing will be in place
● Students will follow clearly marked paths and directives from staff
● Markers will be in place to adhere to 6-foot social distancing
● Parents/guardians/family members will remain in cars while student is receiving the diploma jacket and during photos
MAP & DRIVING DIRECTIONS: Please follow the directions, map and markings for traffic flow and adhere to security staff who will be directing traffic.
1. Approach the school on 92nd and turn onto 42nd to pass in front of school.
2. Turn right into the school using the first entrance as indicated by red arrows.
3. Continue through the student drop off area and turn right, passing by the side of the Gym to the backlot.
4. Turn right and continue down until you reach the Cord and Pin (Second) Station.
5. Students will exit their car and collect their Cord and/or Pins. Parents and family spectators will follow students with their car as they progress through the stations.
6. Students will then proceed to the stage to collect their diploma jacket.
7. Upon receiving their diploma from Principal Puckett, students will go to the next station for photos and tassel flip.
8. Students will visit the Senior Gift station and immediately return to their car.
9. Once a student has returned to their car, continue to drive through the parking lot, as indicated by red arrows.
10.Make a left to drive back out, passing back by the side of the gym.
11.Once you reach 42nd, you will make a RIGHT TURN ONLY and exit the drive-thru graduation.
In addition, we will post a livestream video graduation ceremony at 6:30 pm on June 9th (our originally scheduled Graduation Day) that re-creates as much of the traditional graduation program as possible. We will include speeches by Principal Vicki Puckett, Valedictorians, Senior Class Officers, Teacher Speaker, and a Student Speaker. In addition, we are including a turning of the tassel moment and providing a slide for each student, containing a senior photo with their name to honor and commemorate each graduate. Students have been encouraged to include plans for next year and a special memory, accolade or accomplishment (optional) all through a senior biography survey on Schoology they were asked to fill out by May 29th at 3:00 pm. If students did not submit a biography or photo a slide will appear displaying the student's name and a graduation cap image to honor and recognize each individual student. The link to the ceremony will be sent out to the public on June 9th. Stay tuned for more details to come!
A message to all Seniors and Families of the Class of 2020:
The 2020 Virtual Graduation will take place June 9th at 6:30 pm. At this time, we invite all students and parents to log into the Zoom webinar using the link below.
When the virtual commencement begins, there will be a 5 minute window to allow everyone to join before the graduation ceremony will begin.
Please Note: If you have not used Zoom before, you will need to download the app onto your computer or phone. Using a computer will typically give you a better quality livestream. Once you have downloaded Zoom, you should be able to click the link for the Zoom meeting again and be sent to the queue for the livestream to begin.
There are limited seats in the Zoom livestream, if you find that you cannot access the livestream through the link above, please use the link below to access our YouTube channel which will be simultaneously livestreaming the ceremony.
Please note the following additional suggestions/facts:
1) Zoom will support up to 1000 viewers (a family watching on one device is one viewer) after that you will receive a message that it has exceeded the limit.
You can always view the simulcast on YouTube. The video will play in high quality so we would not expect an issue on viewing clearly either in Zoom or YouTube. If you watch using your phone, it will be clear but it is a smaller image.
2) You can watch it on your television through our YouTube channel.
We plan on sending additional messaging as reminders on Monday, June 8th so we can clarify any issues in those communications.
KMIH Graduation Broadcast Information
Seniors! Tune in to 88.9 The Bridge to hear the MIHS Class of 2020 Drive-Thru Graduation broadcast LIVE with your hosts and 2020 Grads KMIH General Manager Lila Shroff and Program Director Meghana Kakubal!
Join us 8:30 AM to kick off the 9:00 AM drive-thru start with cars filled with Seniors and their families. Stick around all day to hear tributes, songs, shout outs and LIVE reporting as the Class of 2020 students take the stage to be recognized.
Additionally, at 8:46 AM we will join together in a moment of silence to remember George Floyd and condemn racism and violence in all forms.
Set your radio tuners to 88.9 FM to listen on Mercer Island and the surrounding area or stream from anywhere in the world at 889thebridge.org.
It's the MIHS Class of 2020 Drive-Thru Graduation from 8:30 AM until 3:00 PM exclusively on the world's BIGGEST little radio station, KMIH - 889 The Bridge.