Counseling Department Newsletter
➢ May 19 - Last day to DROP a course (seniors)
➢ June 1 - Last day to DROP a course (grades 9-11)
Notes on Grading and Attendance during school closure From last week’s School Board meeting, the district’s attendance and grading policies for semester 2 were outlined.
For the remainder of the school year students are expected to:
● actively engage in their classwork and classroom activities. This includes attending virtual classroom sessions, completing assignments and maintaining a connection with their teachers when extra help is needed.
● students who pass classes with at least a 60% grade overall will have an “A” grade on their 2nd semester transcript
● students who do not pass (under 60% overall grade) will earn an incomplete (“INC”) grade, in which case they have until the end of the first semester next year to complete the work required for an “A” grade.
The Counseling Team encourages ALL students to continue putting their best efforts into their online studies for several reasons, including:
● preparation for next year’s coursework
● study habits will carry forward to when school re-opens
● teachers/counselors will be writing letters of recommendations for students
● it is best to earn credit for courses this semester than to have to do additional work into the summer and possibly into the school year
If you are having difficulties with your studies or need additional support, please send a message to your school counselor. We are here to help!
Student Wellness Resources – The Resource and Referral Place (R&R) at MIHS provides convenient student access to mental health professionals. Help is available for all types of issues including stress, relationships, depression, eating issues, alcohol and drug issues, anger and legal difficulties. Students can stop by the R&R offices opposite the Attendance Office to make an appointment with either Ariel Schachter or Chris Harnish. Parents also can inquire about services and resources at email@example.com (Ariel) or firstname.lastname@example.org (Chris).
Summer School Update – Mercer Island School District will be offering summer school this year for credit recovery and other courses. Due to the continuing concerns over Covid-19, plans are being made for Summer School to be online. Registration information is expected to post on May 8. More details will be released prior to that date.
AP Updates College Board recently announced that all 2020 AP exams will be administered electronically, allowing students to take exams at home in response to the COVID 19 pandemic. Specific details and regular updates are listed on the College Board’s AP website: https://apcoronavirusupdates.collegeboard.org/students. All MIHS AP students were asked to complete the MIHS AP Exam Readiness Survey by April 30th. Students who have not completed the survey are strongly encouraged to do so ASAP.
● Exams will be held May 11- May 22, 2020. Click HERE for the exam schedule. Students who need tech support (device and/or internet) should email the MIHS tech team at email@example.com no later than May 1st (TODAY) with technology requests.
● College Board has reopened the window to cancel AP exams with a refund. Students who would like to cancel an exam should contact MIHS Assessment Coordinator, Debbie Hanson at firstname.lastname@example.org. MIHS will allow cancellations with a refund through today, May 1st.
Senior Caps & Gowns
● If you have ordered a cap & gown package and/or graduation announcements from Jostens, they will be available for pick up at a drive through event on Friday, May 1st (TODAY) from 1pm-4pm.
● FOR THE SAFETY OF STAFF AND STUDENTS, ALL SOCIAL DISTANCING GUIDELINES MUST BE ADHERED TO FOR THIS EVENT
● You must have your ASB card or picture ID to receive your items, pick-up for friends will not be permitted, You must STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE ; we will bring your items to you. No walk-up service will be allowed, and there can be no congregating of bystanders.
● You must enter the firelane located at the front of Mercer Island High School for pick up. Please see attached image for your convenience.
● WE LOVE OUR SENIORS! Please continue to stay safe and follow social distancing guidelines!
● If you still need to order a cap and gown please visit Jostens website at Jostens.com and order directly through them.
Juniors: Planning for after high school Due to Covid-19, post-secondary programs and colleges have had to adjust how the traditional “college search” process works, including some who have adjusted their entrance requirements to offer more flexibility for applicants. Over the next few weeks we willThe June test date has been cancelled due to Covid-19 concerns. College Board is adding a September test date. For more information go to https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat.
SAT Testing: The June test date has been cancelled due to Covid-19 concerns. College Board is adding a September test date. For more information go to https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat.
ACT Testing: As of this writing, the June 13 ACT (regular registration deadline is May 8) is still scheduled. However, continue to monitor the ACT schedule at https://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/the-act/registration.html#dates. The ACT has also been scheduled for July 18 (regular registration deadline is June 19).
Colleges That Change Lives – CTCL is a non-profit organization dedicated to the support of a student-centered college search. Its program is designed to offer students and parents a new perspective on college admission, to address some of the misconceptions about college admission, and to help students connect with representatives from CTCL-member colleges. This free program will be on July 30 at the Westin Seattle at 7:00pm. The program consists of a 30-minute information session followed by a 1.5 hour college fair. For a list of member colleges and to register go to https://ctcl.org/seattle-wa-july-30-2020/.
Scholarships – Spring is when scholarship opportunities start to heat up! An updated list of local scholarships is maintained on the Counseling website under the “Seniors” tab.