Elementary Math Curriculum
Reading | Science | Social Studies | Writing
Adopted Curriculum: Houghton Mifflin Math Expressions
Mercer Island School District has used Math Expressions for several years. The most recent updates to this program were made a few years ago with the launch of Math Expressions Common Core.
Math Expressions combines elements of standards-based instruction with the best traditional approaches. Through drawings, conceptual language, inquiry, and real-world examples, it helps students make sense of mathematics. Put your students on the path to becoming lifelong learners—and lovers—of all things math.
Math Expressions is a comprehensive mathematics program that:
- Develops mathematical concepts deeply and also develops skills through the use of research-based instructional strategies and learning paths, with daily investigative activities using objects, drawings, and real-world situations to help students make sense of the math and practice activities including facts fluency plans at grades 3–5.
- Provides rich resources in the Teacher Edition for hands-on activities with manipulatives and conceptual supports such as secret code cards, visual activities with MathBoards proof pictures, learning center activities, and Math Talk experiences, helping students explain and justify their thinking and develop their reasoning.
- Includes rich problem-solving and reasoning opportunities that focus on word problem types and structures, similar to the approaches in cognitively guided instruction (CGI).
- Relates research-based accessible algorithms to common algorithms, providing bridges from concrete, to pictorial, to abstract fluency.
- Focuses on inquiry and fluency (the hallmark of Math Expressions) that ensures student achievement of the Washington K-12 Mathematics Standards.