Elementary Reading Curriculum
Adopted Curriculum: Mondo’s Bookshop Common Core
Mondo is a comprehensive literacy program that offers teachers all elements of reading instruction. This program allows teachers to differentiate effectively and assess student growth throughout the year.
Components of Bookshop CC:
- Whole Group Reading: Supporting deep, analytical thinkers while building thematic concepts and subject-area knowledge.
- Small-Group Reading: Meeting all students where they are as they practice standards from the whole group in a small group setting.
- Phonics: Teach phonics through sequential, fast-paced routines that develop foundational skills for proficient reading.
- Word Recognition/Study: Cover foundational and language standards for proficient reading and writing, teaching conventions of standard grammar usage and complete word analysis.
- Writing: Developing analytical and strategic writers, communicating ideas clearly and purposefully.
- Speaking & Listening and Language: Supporting language development throughout the literacy block with thoughtful meaningful conversations. Oral language explicit instruction embedded within lessons and small groups.
Information is taken from: "Bookshop Literacy Program." Mondo Publishing. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Aug. 2017.
Reading Resources for Parents:
- MISD tips for reading at home
- Reading Rockets
- U.S. Dept. of Education
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Literacy Central
- Parenting a struggling reader. New York. Broadway Books. Hall, S. & Moats, L.C. (2002)
- Straight Talk about Reading. Hall, S.L. & Moats, L.C. (1999) Chicago, Ill. Contemporary Books
- Starting out right: A guide to promoting children's reading success. National Research Council. (1999). Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Put reading first: Helping your child learn to read: A parent guide: Preschool through grade 3. The Partnership for Reading. (2000). MD: National Institute for Literacy.
- 7 keys to comprehension: How to help your kids read it and get it! Zimmermann, S., & Hutchings, C., (2003). New York: Three Rivers Press.