June 4, 2019
Dear Northwood Families,
Welcome to June! Many thanks to the Northwood families for your continued support of students, staff, and our Northwood community. The next few weeks are packed with more learning and fun, community activities. We hope you and your family will be able to join us.
The email contains the following content:
- End-of-Year Events
- School Supply Orders for 2019-20 (ACTION NEEDED)
- Student Medications (ACTION NEEDED)
- Last day of School
- Future Planning
- Northwood Parking Changes
- Mindfulness Challenges
- King County Library System (KCLS Access)
Please refer to your teachers' communications for specific information about your child's classroom calendar. We hope your family will be able to join us for our annual community Hootenanny!
- Northwood Spring Hootenanny Our Northwood PTA is organizing our third annual Northwood Spring Hootenanny. We can expect another fun-filled community event this year. We hope to see you on Wednesday, June 12, from 6:00-8:00pm for music, food, fun, and community connection. Please continue to watch the PTA's Parliament Press for more information about this event or check out the PTA website. We hope to see you there!
- Class Parties During our last weeks of school, most of our classrooms will be celebrating with a classroom party. Please connect with your child's teacher for information about their classroom party.
- 5th Grade Party & Slideshow Northwood’s 5th grade students will be celebrating the approaching end of their elementary years and their coming matriculation to middle school on Monday, June 17. As part of this grade level celebration, PTA leaders have put together a photo slideshow of our 5th grade students that we will be showing in the commons before students depart for Acme Bowling. Parents of 5th graders are invited to join their children to view this photo slideshow, scheduled to begin at 10:00a.m. If you are interested in joining, please plan to arrive before 10:00a.m., with enough time to find parking and sign in with the LobbyGuard. We hope to see you there!
School Supply Orders for 2019-20 (ACTION NEEDED)
Hopefully you read in last month’s newsletter that we are changing our school supply process for next year. Rather than collecting donations and purchasing supplies in bulk we will provide lists for families to purchase their own supplies OR order a box of supplies through SchoolKidz.
SchoolKidz Supply Kit program is easy and convenient! Kits include the exact colors, quantities, and brands teachers are requesting in a personalized box ready for your child’s first day of school. Place your order by Friday, June 21st to have all your child’s necessary supplies delivered to his or her classroom for next year.
Orders can be placed online at:
Northwood Account: #28891
Website Live: Tuesday, 06/04 - 6/21
Questions? Contact the Northwood office at 206-275-5800.
Student Medications (ACTION NEEDED)
As a reminder, student medications must be picked up by parents and taken home for the summer. Students cannot transport their own medication. Please plan to collect any student medications on the last day of school, Friday, June 21, 2019. Any medications not picked up by 4:00pm on Friday, June 21st will be destroyed. Thank you.
Last Day of School
- June 14 (regular hours)- Last Day of Early Childhood Special Education Program
- June 21 @ 11:00am - Last Day of School K-5, Early Dismissal
To celebrate our successful school year, staff and students will engage in a brief assembly on Friday morning to acknowledge all that we have accomplished and learned this year. We will conclude this assembly with a special good-bye for our 5th graders. Teachers and students will then have time in their classrooms to bring closure to their year together.
Please note that our Northwood summer office hours begin on Monday, June 24. They are as follows:
- June 24 - July 3: Office Open from 9:00am-12:00noon
- July 4 - August 4: Office Closed
- August 5 - September 3: Office Open from 9:00am-12:00noon
- September 4: First Day of School - Regular office hours resume
If you and your children will not be returning to Northwood for any reason, and you have not yet notified the office, please do so at your earliest opportunity. We rely on accurate enrollment counts to staff our classrooms and programs. Thank you.
Northwood Parking Changes
Our Northwood parking signs have changed! Although many folks have been parking along the car loop already, please note that the official parking and no parking times have changed. In order to provide additional parking for parents and other school visitors, we have changed the signage to allow for parking on the car loop during the school day. Please adhere to these new parking timeframes on school days:
- No Parking: 8:30am - 9:30am (student drop off times)
- No Parking: 1:30m-4:00pm (student pick up times)
- Parking is Allowed from 9:30am - 1:30pm
There is still no parking allowed at any time along the red curb. Thank you!
June and Summer Mindfulness Challenges for Students:
- Week of June 4: This week, students consider how to use mindfulness and heartfulness to show kindness and caring on the playground. They may send kind and grateful thoughts to the kids they are playing with when things are going well. If they find themselves in conflict, they are asked to notice how they are feeling, take some mindful breaths, and think about how or whether they want to act on those feelings. This then allows them to access some of the conflict resolution tools they have learned through Second Step or Kelso's Choices. Being mindful of how we feel on the playground allows us to make choices about how we act.
- June 11 & 17: Mindful Breathing: These weeks are exciting weeks -- the last weeks of the school year. Students feel excited for summer, sad to leave their friends, nervous about next year, impatient for the school year to be over, or many other emotions. Returning to mindful breathing can help us become more aware of our feelings. It can help us slow down our reactions and give us the time to choose how we want to act. Support your child to take some time each day to engage in mindful breathing and to notice and be present with their feelings.
- Summer Challenge: Over the summer, challenge your child to continue a regular mindfulness practice, helping them to be present with whatever activity they are engaged in at the time. Bringing awareness to the present moment helps children develop skills in emotional and self regulation as well as the ability to choose to act, rather than to just react, in situations. At Northwood, we do a Mindful Minute each morning as we start our day; consider how this practice might translate into your summer schedule.
King County Library System (KCLS) Access
On June 10, our Northwood students will engage in grade-band assemblies to learn about the KCLS Summer Reading Program: A UNIVERSE OF STORIES!
The King County Library Program provides an excellent venue to continue summer reading and learning. Each child will be given a reading log with details of the program. As a reminder, our 3rd-5th grade students have library accounts that allow them to access KCLS online resources at www.kcls.org/students from school, home, or from any other computer, iPad, tablet, smart phone, or device. In partnership with the Mercer Island School District, KCLS has created special library accounts in its system for our students so they may seamlessly log-in from any computer or device. The account numbers are formatted as the student's school ID number preceded by the Mercer Island School District's three digit number (400).
- 6/6/19 - Parent Playground @ lunch/recess times -- Our final parent playground of the year!
- 6/10/19 - KCLS Summer Reading Presentations
- 6/11/19 - PTA Northwood Owl-Stars Volunteer Reception, @ 9:30-11:00am - Northwood Commons
- 6/12/19 - Northwood Spring Hootenanny @ 6:00-8:00pm, Northwood Field
- 6/14/19 – 12:00 Noon Early Dismissal for All Elementary Students
- 6/14/19 - Last Day of School for Early Childhood Special Education (regular schedules)
- 6/17/19 - 5th grade celebration
- 6/21/19 - Last Day of School for K-5, early dismissal at 11:00am
- 6/21/19 - Medications must be picked up by 4:00pm
Have a wonderful summer.
Principal | Northwood Elementary School
The Mercer Island School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, marital status, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups.