February 4, 2019
Dear Northwood Families,
I hope you and your family are safe and warm on this unexpected snowy day. Please note that March 11, a scheduled weather make-up day on the District Calendar, will now be a school day to make up for today’s cancellation.
This newsletter contains the following content:
- Do your children know your phone number?
- Mindfulness and Focus Character Trait
- Northwood Family Math Night
- Northwood Scholastic Book Fair
- Global Reading Challenge
- Upcoming Events and Activities
Do your children know your phone number?
With the proliferation of smart phones, all of us have increasingly come to rely on our devices to “remember” phone numbers and other contact information for us. However, it is still a good safety practice to ensure your children know “by heart” a phone number to use contact you in case of emergency. Kids can remember and store a number as early as Kindergarten. Please take some time this month to see if your children have your phone number memorized; if they don’t, now is a good time to help them learn it.
Mindfulness and Focus Character Trait
In February, our Mindfulness instruction and practice continues at Northwood, and our Focus Character Trait for the month is Gratitude. Please see our Mindfulness webpage for the weekly Mindfulness challenges for February and for more information about supporting your children in practicing gratitude this month.
Northwood Family Math Night
Northwood’s first ever Family Math Night is scheduled for Wednesday, February 27 from 5:30-7:00pm. We are excited to invite parents/guardians and students to come to Northwood for an evening of learning together. Our Northwood staff have been planning lessons and gathering supplies to make this a great night, and we hope you will join us. For more information about the evening please see the flier. To register to attend, please go to NW Family Math Night Registration Remember, you must register by February 15 to attend!
Northwood Scholastic Book Fair
Northwood is hosting a Scholastic book fair February 25 – February 28. Students will have the opportunity to shop and/or develop wish lists during their regularly scheduled library time, and the book fair will be open to parents before and after school, as well. On February 27, the evening of our Family Math Night, we will open the Book Fair for families to shop from the school dismissal bell at 2:05pm to the start of Family Math Night, and again after Family Math Night end until 7:00pm. We hope you and your children come enjoy some math activities together AND find great books to share and read together!
Global Reading Challenge
Many of our 4th and 5th grade students have taken on the Global Reading Challenge, a reading challenge and incentive program in partnership with the King County Library System. Through this enriching program, students read six selected books and take quizzes to show what they know about each of the texts they have read. They meet weekly during a lunch time, and they practice writing and responding to thoughtful questions about each book. The competitions occur this week!
- Fri. Feb. 8th:2:30- 3:30 Library Classroom Space: KCLS Global Reading Challenge NW In School Competition; Hosted by KCLS Librarian Linda Ernst.
The winning team will move on to this event:
- Tues. March 5th: 4:30- 5:30 pm NW COMMONS: KCLS Global Reading Challenge District Finals.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Tuesday, 2/5/19 @ 6:00-8:00pm – Northwood Competitive Spelling Bee, Northwood Commons
- Wednesday, 2/6/19 @ 10:30-12:30 - Childfind @ Northwood Early Childhood Special Education classrooms
- Thursday, 2/7/19 - Northwood Parent Playground @ lunch/lunch recess times
- Friday, 2/8/19 @ 2:30-3:30pm – Northwood Global Reading Challenge, Library Classroom
- Wednesday, 2/13/19 @ 7:00-8:30a.m. – Mercer Island Youth and Family Services Annual Fundraising Breakfast at the Mercer Island Community Center
- Thursday, 2/14/19 – Valentine’s Day classroom card exchange (see teacher communication for classroom details)
- Monday, 2/18/19 – Friday, 2/22/19 – NO SCHOOL – Mid-Winter Break
- Monday, 2/25.19 – School Resumes
- Monday, 2/25/19 – Thursday, 2/28/19: Northwood Scholastic Book Fair
- Wednesday, 2/27/19 @ 5:30-7:00pm in the Northwood Commons – Northwood Family Math Night (Don’t forget to register to participate!)
- Tuesday, 3/5/18 @ 4:30-5:30pm in the Northwood Commons – KCLS Global Reading Challenge District Finals
Have a wonderful week.
Principal | Northwood Elementary School
The Mercer Island School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, marital status, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups.