Dear Northwood Families,
Welcome to May! We had a wonderful, well-attended Parent Playground yesterday to welcome the warm spring weather. Thanks to all who came to play.
This letter includes:
· Board of Directors of Mercer Island School District - Special Meeting at Northwood
· Behind the Scenes - Northwood Paraprofessionals
· Northwood Spring Hootenanny
· Northwood Family Folk Dance Night
· Special Considerations
· Upcoming Events & Activities
Board of Directors of Mercer Island School District - Special Meeting at Northwood
Northwood will host a special session of the Mercer Island School District Board of Directors on Tuesday, May 15th. The Board will spend time connecting with Northwood staff and visiting classrooms followed by a meeting with parents and PTA members. We invite you to join the Board of Directors for this parent meeting from 11:00-11:30 a.m. in the Northwood Commons. Hope to see you there.
Behind the Scenes - Northwood Paraprofessionals
This month, we will be highlighting the contributions of our paraprofessionals to the Northwood community. The work that our parapros do is far-reaching and critically important to the smooth flow of our school day. We could not do what we do for your children without their continued support.
Northwood has a strong team of parapros that do everything from provide classroom support to supervise the lunchroom, from managing recesses to overseeing arrival and dismissal. The parapros are very collaborative with one another and with our classroom teachers, and they always have our students’ best interests at heart.
Parapros are expected to facilitate problem-solving sessions, manage student conflict, make on-the-spot decisions about whether or not a student needs to visit the health room, and be ready to support their partner teachers with whatever needs might arise. They are truly Northwood’s superheroes and we are so grateful for all they do.
Parapros are often times the go-to adult when students have an issue they need help with. Parapros are visible in every single space of Northwood and their schedules are as varied as can be. Their schedules, while held in place by anchors such as recess, arrival, dismissal and lunchroom, are also ever-changing based on the needs of our students. The paras go where the students need them and they do so with a smile. Parapros offer support and advice, a shoulder to lean on and a listening ear.
The next time you see a Northwood para, give them a smile and a wave. They so richly deserve it.
Northwood Spring Hootenanny
Our Northwood PTA is organizing our second annual Northwood Spring Hootenanny. Judging by last year's very successful event, we can expect another fun-filled community event this year. We hope to see you on June 6, from 6:00-8:00pm for music, food, fun, and community connection. Please continue to watch the PTA's Parliament Press for more information about this event. We hope to see you there!
Northwood Family Folk Dance Night
This year, our wonderful music teacher, Erin Brown, received a grant from the Mercer Island Schools Foundation to augment her music program with enrichment instruction about folk music and folk dance, including the support of a folk dance "caller". Students and families are invited to join in a celebration of this learning at our Northwood Family Folk Dance on Thursday, June 7 from 6:30-8:00pm in the Northwood gym.
Earlier this week, we sent information about the class placement process and the option for parents to submit a request for Special Considerations form. Please see prior email or the link above to the Northwood website for more information. The deadline for this optional submission is May 11.
Upcoming Events and Activities
May and June are busy busy months at Northwood. Many of our classes are taking field trips, hosting guest speakers or special events, and otherwise expanding their learning beyond our regular classroom lessons. Please refer to your teachers' communications for specific information about your child's classroom calendar. We recognize that several evening events fall in close proximity to one another and may require families to make choices to best suit their needs -- this is a challenge with having so many exciting events in our community!
· May 7-11: Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week
· May 9 @ 2:30-5:00pm: Spring Into Kindergarten Event (by appointment for newly registered Kindergartners)
· May 10 @ 8:30am: Walk/Bike to School Day
· May 15: ITBS testing for 4th graders
· May 15 @ 11:00-11:30am: Special Board of Directors Meeting with Parents at Northwood Elementary Commons
· May 16 @ 6:00pm: PTA Northwood's Got Talent Event on the Northwood stage
· May 23 @ 9:30am: Northwood Drum/Mallet/Choir Concert (Student Assembly)
· May 23 @ 6:30pm: Northwood Drum/Mallet/Choir Concert (Evening Presentation)
· May 25 - No School - Scheduled Weather Make-up Day
· May 28 - No School - Memorial Day
· May 30 @ 9:30am - Northwood PTA Membership Meeting in Northwood Commons
· June 1 - Last Day of Early Childhood Special Education Program
· June 6 @ 6:00-8:00pm - Northwood Spring Hootenanny!
· June 7 @ 6:30-8:00pm - Northwood Family Folk Dance Night
· June 14 @ 11:00am - Last Day of School, Early Dismissal
Principal | Northwood Elementary School
The Mercer Island School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, marital status, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups.