Mercer Island School District is always looking for great people to substitute -- continuing our students' learning is essential when our staff members must miss work.
Types of substitutes we utilize are listed below. Many of our substitutes are hired into ongoing positions so if you are interested in working for Mercer Island, consider starting as a substitute.
- ESA School Nurse
- Emergency Substitute *
- School Nurse
- Bus Driver
- Administrative Support Roles
* Emergency substitutes are able to substitute for certificated teachers if a regular certificated substitute is not available. To become an Emergency Substitute, we have a process established. Below is an overview of this process:
- Candidate completes online training for substitutes (8-10 hours)
- Candidate is fingerprinted and prints are cleared by State of Washington and FBI (time varies but this can take up to a month or longer)
- Candidate completes District "SafeSchools" training (2.5 hours)
- District submits the request to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) that candidate become an Emergency Substitute.
- Candidate completes the application with OSPI.
- The certificate is approved and issued by OSPI (valid for 3 school years).
- Candidate attends substitute orientation.