Timely Messages from the Principal
From the Principal:
- Thank you to all who supported our annual PTA auction through their attendance, donations and time. It was a huge success and wonderful evening. The sense of community encouragement and outpouring of appreciation of Island Park staff was overwhelming and heartfelt. On behalf of the entire Island Park staff, thank you for your continued support and dedication to creating a learning environment that best serves our wonderful children.
- Please be sure to place the Mercer Island Schools Foundation Breakfast of Champions on your calendars—April 25 from 7:00 to 8:30 a.m. at MIHS. The annual event brings our greater island community together to support opportunities for all K-12 students. Your more than generous involvement has, in past years, provided for additional staff, learning coaches and enrichment programs. More information regarding this year’s breakfast may be found on the foundation’s website (mercerislandschoolsfoundation.com).
- State testing (Smarter Balanced Assessments) for grades 3 – 5 begins next week—April 3 and 4. Your child’s teacher has probably kept you in the loop regarding dates and specifics. More information may be found on the district website under Learning Services (state testing). Thank you for ensuring that your test taker has a good night’s sleep and nourishing breakfast prior to testing.
- If you know of anyone who has an upcoming kindergartener and has yet to register him or her for the 2017-2018 school year, thank you for encouraging them to do so as soon as possible. Spring registration allows us to better plan for the fall and solidifies staffing numbers (how many kindergarten teacher positions we can sustain). Questions regarding kindergarten registration can be directed to the school office (206-236-3410).
- Spring Break is April 10 -14. Here’s wishing everyone a wonderful and safe break. During the break, our old, unused portables are slated to be removed in preparation of this summer’s work of moving our newer portables to the old portable’s vacated spot. Related landscaping work will also be conducted. Fencing will be installed to keep children safe and away from the vacated site.
- Finally, I would like to share a letter from Mr. Krahn, your child’s P.E. teacher:
Dear Parents,I would like to inform you of some happy news. My wife and I had our second baby and consequently I will be going on paternity leave starting April 28, 2017. My leave will last the rest of this school year. I will be back at the start of the 2017-2018 school year. In my absence, Mr. Matt Lavigne will be teaching PE. He is a certified teacher and just completed subbing at Northwood as a long-term leave replacement. I am confident he will be an excellent fit for the students at Island Park. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to leave a message by phone (206-230- 6263) or email (email@example.com). I look forward to seeing students and families again when I’m back at the start of next school year!
Sincerely,Nate KrahnPE SpecialistIsland Park Elementary