Application Deadline: Monday, March 1st, 2021 at 11:59PM. Under no circumstances will late applications be considered.
Application Links will become active on Monday, February 8th.In order to access this application form YOU MUST FIRST BE SIGNED IN TO YOUR MISD GOOGLE ACCOUNT. If you have trouble signing in, contact Mr. Clay Laughary or Ms. Kristina Getty.Link to Application Criteria: 2021 NHS Application CriteriaLink to Application Form: 2021 NHS Application FormThank you for applying to Mercer Island National Honor Society! We are dedicated to encouraging academically successful and creative students to participate in service in their school, local, and global communities.
Please note that National Honor Society is only open to incoming juniors and seniors (Classes of 2022 and 2023) with a GPA of 3.5 or higher. If you are a current 9th grader, we encourage you to apply next year. Applicants who were not admitted as sophomores may re-apply as juniors. Previously dismissed members may not re-apply.
Below you will find:
· Membership Expectations and Conditions for Dismissal
· Mercer Island’s National Honor Society Application Directions
· Selection Criteria (Rubric)
Expectations for Honor Society
· Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher while participating in Honor Society
· Pay the fee for the club, $50 due April 27th, 2021 - pays for Induction Ceremony and Honor Cords for graduation.
· Attend all meetings or follow make-up procedures for missed meetings
· Participate wholeheartedly in club service activities
· Be in good standing with the Athletic and Activity Conduct Code
· Pursue individual community service throughout the year
Conditions for Dismissal
An NHS member might be dismissed for failure to continue to meet any of the standards for membership. For example, a student whose GPA dropped below 3.5 and who did not remediate that situation by the following quarter would likely be dismissed. Similarly, a student who repeatedly failed to meet service expectations might also be dismissed. In either of these cases, the student would receive written notice of Probation and would be given time to address the situation. Serious violations, such as major academic dishonesty or commission of a crime, can lead to dismissal without notice. The faculty council decides on all matters of dismissal; an appeals process is in place. Procedures are outlined in the NHS Constitution, Article VII, available on the NHS website.
Note to the Applicant
Scholarship, Service, Leadership, and Character are equally weighted components for selection in National Honor Society. A high GPA doesn’t guarantee selection – it simply makes the student eligible for membership consideration. The criterion listed will be used (see attached) to evaluate the applicant’s observable leadership, character, and service.
Application and Selection Deadlines
The completed application is due by Monday, March 1st, 2021 at 11:59PM. Letters of acceptance and letters of denial (including the process for appealing the decision) will be sent to your school email account in April. Please check often.
An induction ceremony for all new members may be held in the spring at 6:00 pm in the Upper Commons, pending Hybrid and Covid-19 restrictions. More information will be provided to inductees in their acceptance letter.
Complete instructions can be found on each provided template in the 2021 NHS Application Form. Read the directions on the templates carefully and thoroughly. Follow the directions exactly. You may only submit provided templates that are completed; do not create your own form! Non-approval can occur due to not following directions exactly.
- Open 2021 NHS Application Form
- SCROLL to see what isrequired information for the application. A brief but incomplete summary of the directions are found below for your convenience; however, read and follow the directions on each template before submitting your application.
- It is recommended that you type your information in the provided templates for each criterion (find links in the 2021 NHS Application Form). All linked, supporting documents must be in PDF format.
- Once you have submitted the form online with the three (3) completed templates,you may revise any part of your application until the deadline, March 1st, 2021 at 11:59 pm. Please plan carefully. Do NOT wait until the last minute to begin this process.
- The completed application must be submitted by March 1st, 2021 at 11:59PM.
- Late applications cannot be considered. Please plan carefully so you do not miss the deadline.
Criteria for Membership Selection
Students will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Student has at least a 3.5 GPA
- Application scores 6 points or higher with no zeros on the following criteria:
based on the 3 submitted components
0 points: no evidence of service
1 point: limited service
· has between 15 - 25 hours of community service within the past 12 months
· volunteers for school activities
2 points: moderate service
· has between 26 - 35 hours of community service within the past 12 months and
· is actively involved in school activities
3 points: outstanding service
· has over 35 hours of community service within the past 12 months and
· is deeply involved in school activities
based on the 3 submitted components
0 points: no evidence of positive leadership
1 point: limited leadership
· demonstrates leadership within but not outside the classroom
· exemplifies positive qualities such as reliability and dependability
2 points: moderate leadership
· demonstrates leadership in the classroom in significant ways and
· leads peers in school sports or activities or demonstrates leadership in activities outside of the school (work, civic organizations, religious organization, etc.)
3 points: outstanding leadership
· commands respect of faculty and peers and inspires positive behavior in others
· has assumed complex leadership roles, including delegating responsibility to others
· demonstrates ability to transform organizations or reach significant new objectives
based on the 2 submitted components
0 points: exhibits undesirable behavior
(criminal conviction, school suspension, bullying, disrespect for teachers, plagiarism, etc. as prescribed by the national organization of NHS)
1 point: indistinguishable qualities
· observes laws, rules, and regulations
· is honest and reliable
2 points: noteworthy qualities
· displays courtesy, concern and respect for others
· persistent and industrious in all endeavors
3 points: superior and praiseworthy qualities
· actively works to overcome negative influences in and outside of school
· consistently exhibits mature, ethical behavior and a strong sense of moral conviction