World Language Proficiency Credit Assessments (grades 9-12)
Mercer Island School District offers the opportunity for students who are fluent in a language other than English to be able to test for possible high school credits. Please review the information below to determine if your student is eligible.Testing language options:
- Mandarin Chinese (simplified and traditional)
- Portuguese (Brazilian)
We have 2 testing windows for 2022-2023
October 1-31, 2022
The registration window is open from July 1- September 23 (see link below to register).
May 1-31, 2023
The registration window will open February 27 and close April 21, 2023.Step 1: Determine if you're eligibleIs the student in 9th grade or higher? If not, please wait until your child enters high school before nominating for this test.If the student can answer "Yes, I can do this fairly easily" to all of the statements in a language other than English, then they will probably be able to earn at least 1-2 credits. If the student can answer "Yes, I can do this very easily" to all of the statements, then they may be able to earn 3-4 credits when they get tested.
Step 2: Register for the assessmentIf you believe that the student has the fluency to obtain credits for a language other than English, please complete the registration form and pay for the assessment costs. Please note that students must be in high school in order to receive credit from these assessments. The registration window is open from July 1-September 23, 2022. The testing format will depend on the language a student is testing in. Some students will complete the assessments independently directly through one of our language testing vendors; other students will need to complete part of the assessment online independently and then part over the phone with someone from the assessment company.Step 3: PaymentThe cost of these assessments is incurred by the family. The registration fee will be added to the student's ASB account by September 26, 2022, and students will have one week prior to testing to pay it via the ASB office or online.Cost: $40 per testStep 4: Take the assessmentThe testing window is October 1-31, 2022. Registered students will receive an email with instructions for testing on October 1, 2022.Step 5: Receive the resultsAfter the assessments are processed, you will be notified of these results and you will receive a ranking that may range from 0 to 4 credits.
- Listening- I can understand ideas on familiar topics expressed through phrases, short sentences, and frequently used expressions.
- Reading- I can understand the main idea and some details in simple texts that contain familiar vocabulary.
- Person to Person Communication- I can exchange information with another person about familiar tasks, topics, and activities.
- Spoken Production- I can use a series of phrases and sentences to provide basic information about familiar topics.
- Writing- I can write simple descriptions and short messages and request or provide information on familiar topics.