Manage iPads at Home
While iPads are a powerful learning tool, it is essential for families to set boundaries around the proper use of the iPad at home. As a parent or guardian, you have the final say as to how much your child uses the iPad at home. Here are some tips on how you can help your child become a safe and responsible digital citizen.
Rules for Home iPad Use
Set standards for your child’s use of the iPad at home:
- The iPad should be FIRST used to complete school work before students use the iPad to visit the Internet, play games or music.
- Check your child’s iPad and their school work regularly.
- To supervise the iPad’s use, have your child use the iPad in a central location like the kitchen or living room.
- To avoid unsupervised iPad use, charge the iPad in a central location of the home.
- If your child is not following your rules, you have the right to limit access to the device.
- Encourage your student to leave the case on, inspect it often to ensure no damage has occurred to the case, iPad or charger. Discourage any graffiti on the iPad, case, cord or charger block. These will result in damage charges at the end of the year.
Resources for Filtering your Home Network
Apple iOS 12
xFi helps reduce the risk of children accessing age-inappropriate content from their devices using the xFi Parental Controls feature. Additionally, you can pause WiFi access over your home network instantly or during scheduled times with the Pause and Bedtime Mode features. Below is a video that shows how to configure these settings.
Your wireless gateway allows you to block keywords in web addresses and specific sites; you can also control which computers these restrictions apply to.
To set Parental Controls visit the wireless gateway's Admin Tool website at http://10.0.0.1. For further instructions, see below.