Global Reading Challenge for Fourth and Fifth Graders
What is the Global Reading Challenge?
The Global Reading Challenge is sponsored by the King County Library System. Thirty fourth and fifth grade students compete in five teams of six students to read and master the content of six books chosen by King County Librarians. Students meet with Mrs. Middleton one day a week starting Monday, November 26 from 12:45-1:15 p.m. You can bring your lunch.
- This year’s books are:
A Whole New Ballgame by Phil Bildner, Gaby Lost and Found by Angela Cervantes, Jack and the Geniuses by Bill Nye, Stella By Starlight by Sharon Draper, Save Me a Seat by Sarah Weeks, Story Thieves by James Riley
Writing Global Reading Challenge Questions
The most important part of preparing yourself for Global Reading Challenge competitions is writing and answering thoughtful questions about your books. Questions will be printed out and placed in your team’s question notebook at the end of every GRC meeting. Teams that have a strong collection of questions to practice from will be successful competitors. Here are some guidelines for writing questions.
- Take your time to deeply read your book.
- As you read your book, write questions for the book.
- You will learn about the different types of questions at our GRC meetings. The question types are identical to the ones that are used by the King County Librarians at the official Global Reading Challenges. Each week you will have more types of questions to choose from.
- Your goal is to write 5-10+ questions about each book BEFORE you turn the book in.
- You can write questions from home, school, or at our GRC meetings.
- You can write questions for a book you already turned in by sharing books with your teammates at GRC meetings.
- Take the time to write questions and help your team. It will deepen your own knowledge of the book. Turning in your book without writing questions is not helpful to your team or yourself.
The links below are examples of questions from last year. I will print them off for our meeting.