Latest West Mercer Announcements
The fifth grade band and orchestra program is beginning its year with a webinar for families on Wednesday, Sept. 23 at 6 p.m. on Zoom
Grab & Go Meals!, provided by our Food Services department, offer lunch for all children. Two locations are available for lunch pick-up between 11:30 am - 1:00 pm..
Visit mercerislandschools.org/kindergarten for complete information.
Dear West Mercer Families,
I hope everyone had a fun and safe Halloween weekend. Now that Halloween is behind us, the November wind and rain is on its way! November also marks the ending of our first trimester of the school year, as well as the beginning of the holiday season. Please be thoughtful as you make plans for holiday celebrations, as not everyone celebrates the same holidays and/or mark holidays in the same way as you and your family. At West Mercer we have room for everyone in our pack and it is important that no one feels isolated or removed due to other people’s celebrations.
Here are some important events and schedule changes for the month:
1. Wednesday, November 11th is Veterans Day. NO SCHOOL on this day.
2. Monday, November 16th is a grading day for teachers. The student day is to end at 12:15. Afternoon synchronous instructional blocks will be cancelled.
3. Report Cards will be available for families to review in Skyward on Friday, 11/20 at 4:30pm.
4. NO SCHOOL for students 11/23-11/27. Parent-teacher conferences are scheduled for Monday 11/23, Tuesday 11/24, and Wednesday morning 11/25. Thanksgiving break will be 11/26 & 11/27.
CONTINUE READING THE PRINCIPAL'S MESSAGE BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW:
About West Mercer Elementary
West Mercer is a place of joy where all students, staff, and families commit to grow, empower and value each other. We believe that our capacity to learn is unlimited.
Value, Belief and Commitment Statements:
- We believe in strong partnerships with families and our community. We commit to respecting their insights and opinions.
- We believe that every student and family in our community belongs. We commit to foster and embrace all aspects of diversity and further commit to face and address areas of inequity.
- We believe it is important that we (staff, students, and families) enjoy each other and our time together at school. We commit to building relationships.
- We believe that West Mercer is a place of emotional and physical safety. We commit to developing social/emotional health in our students.
- We believe that behavior expectations must be clearly communicated and that students’ should be celebrated for appropriate behavior, not just criticized when they fall below behavior expectations. We commit to providing a positive behavior intervention system (PAWS).
- We believe that learning should be personalized to meet the needs of the students in our classrooms and school. We commit to providing differentiated instructional practice.
- We believe that student learning is most likely to occur when we use consistent, research based instructional practices and curricula. We commit to provide the guaranteed and viable curriculum mandated by the District and approved through School Board vote.
- We believe that critical thinking and analytical/processing skills are crucial for future global opportunities. We commit to culture and foster these important thinking and problem solving skills.
- We believe that every child needs appropriate challenge. We commit to continually improving our instructional practice so that we can grow ALL students’ skill and understanding.
- We believe that every person (including us adults) can learn. We commit to learn from each other and from experts in a variety of fields.
6:30 PM WM Culture Fair
5:00 PM - 6:30 PM MISD Community Connections Webinar on Zoom
December 21, 2020
December 22, 2020