Latest West Mercer Announcements
Grab & Go Meals!, provided by our Food Services department, offer lunch for all children. Two locations are available for lunch pick-up between 11:30 am - 1:00 pm..
Visit mercerislandschools.org/kindergarten for complete information.
Dear West Mercer Families,
Our year is off and going…thank you for your support as we all reimagine school in a remote environment! We hope you are able to see the tremendous amount of work that our teachers have put into this new environment and that this work is paying off with your student more engaged and excited about school. We know that you are vital to the success of remote school and we are humbled by the support and enthusiasm that you are sharing!
Please remember, to give yourself grace; this new world is hard for all of us and we are all doing our best to provide a rigorous experience this year for all our learners. We have to “go slow to go fast”.
Next week will mark the 3rd week of school with some additional opportunities coming your way for students:
- West Mercer Library is now OPEN for book lending, Mrs. Sylvester is running a remote lending library, with pick up and drop offs of books scheduled for every Wednesday (if you want to participate please complete this form linked here by Sunday night, also available on the West Mercer Website)
- Second wave of student materials pick up will be Friday, September 18th from 2:00-4:00 (this pick-up day will include additional math manipulatives and any items that teachers want students to have on hand for the next 3 weeks of school). To accommodate the pick-up schedule, there will be no paraprofessional supervised study hall on Friday, September 18th.
- Connection with Miss Anna, our counselor, please refer to the letter found in the folder named Files Related To The News Letter on the next page (click the link below)
CONTINUE READING THE PRINCIPAL'S MESSAGE BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW:
About West Mercer Elementary
West Mercer is a place of joy where all students, staff, and families commit to grow, empower and value each other. We believe that our capacity to learn is unlimited.
Value, Belief and Commitment Statements:
- We believe in strong partnerships with families and our community. We commit to respecting their insights and opinions.
- We believe that every student and family in our community belongs. We commit to foster and embrace all aspects of diversity and further commit to face and address areas of inequity.
- We believe it is important that we (staff, students, and families) enjoy each other and our time together at school. We commit to building relationships.
- We believe that West Mercer is a place of emotional and physical safety. We commit to developing social/emotional health in our students.
- We believe that behavior expectations must be clearly communicated and that students’ should be celebrated for appropriate behavior, not just criticized when they fall below behavior expectations. We commit to providing a positive behavior intervention system (PAWS).
- We believe that learning should be personalized to meet the needs of the students in our classrooms and school. We commit to providing differentiated instructional practice.
- We believe that student learning is most likely to occur when we use consistent, research based instructional practices and curricula. We commit to provide the guaranteed and viable curriculum mandated by the District and approved through School Board vote.
- We believe that critical thinking and analytical/processing skills are crucial for future global opportunities. We commit to culture and foster these important thinking and problem solving skills.
- We believe that every child needs appropriate challenge. We commit to continually improving our instructional practice so that we can grow ALL students’ skill and understanding.
- We believe that every person (including us adults) can learn. We commit to learn from each other and from experts in a variety of fields.
6:00 PM - 9:00 PM MISD School Board Meeting
9:30 AM WM Picture Day
September 27, 2020
September 28, 2020
October 1, 2020
5:00 PM - 6:00 PM MISD New Family Event on Zoom
October 7, 2020
8:30 AM - 9:15 AM WM Walk to School Day