Latest West Mercer Announcements
Each Mercer Island elementary school (Island Park, Lakeridge, Northwood and West Mercer) will hold a Kindergarten registration information session from 6 to 7 p.m. on January 28, 2020.
To receive the most immediate updates on closures or late starts, go to the Flash Alert Newswire website at www.flashalert.net/id/MercerIslandSD to sign up for email and text alerts, and download the free FlashAlert Messenger app for iPhone or Android devices.
Dear West Mercer Families,
Happy 2020! I hope you had a happy and healthy Winter Break and are now ready to get back into our school year. While I enjoyed my break and the chance to catch up with family and friends; I have to say that getting back to school has been very positive for me! I miss the structure of the school day but more importantly I miss my connections with students and staff—so good to see everyone’s smiling faces again! I believe 2020 will be another great year for our Wolfpack family!
There are a lot of great events in January, please check below to see what is coming up!
Drop off and Pick up reminders--Just a few safety reminders when dropping off and picking up students:
Student drop-off begins at 9:00 AM. Prior to this time we do not have adult supervision and it is, therefore, dangerous for students to be on campus. If students arrive before 9 (and are not here for a before-school activity like choir), they will be sent to the office where they can be supervised. If students regularly arrive before 9, we will need to send students to KidsCo for supervision and KidsCo will charge the family for the before school care that they provide.
Please watch out for ALL students. We have students from Kindergarten - 5th grade being dropped off and picked up. While we have a Safety Paraprofessional out supervising, kids can sometimes be impulsive.
Drive SLOWLY. Watch CAREFULLY. Pull FORWARD to keep the line moving. Only let students exit/enter your vehicle on the curbside.
When picking up after school, wait at the top of the hill until 5 minutes before school is out (3:40 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday and 2:00 on Wednesday).
January School Schedule
There will be two Mondays in January with no school for students. On Monday, January 20th we will celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King’s birthday and SCHOOL WILL BE CLOSED. The very next Monday, January 27th, there will be NO SCHOOL for students while teachers spend the day in professional learning sessions. Please mark these dates on your calendar!
CONTINUE READING THE PRINCIPAL'S MESSAGE BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW:
About West Mercer Elementary
West Mercer is a place of joy where all students, staff, and families commit to grow, empower and value each other. We believe that our capacity to learn is unlimited.
Value, Belief and Commitment Statements:
- We believe in strong partnerships with families and our community. We commit to respecting their insights and opinions.
- We believe that every student and family in our community belongs. We commit to foster and embrace all aspects of diversity and further commit to face and address areas of inequity.
- We believe it is important that we (staff, students, and families) enjoy each other and our time together at school. We commit to building relationships.
- We believe that West Mercer is a place of emotional and physical safety. We commit to developing social/emotional health in our students.
- We believe that behavior expectations must be clearly communicated and that students’ should be celebrated for appropriate behavior, not just criticized when they fall below behavior expectations. We commit to providing a positive behavior intervention system (PAWS).
- We believe that learning should be personalized to meet the needs of the students in our classrooms and school. We commit to providing differentiated instructional practice.
- We believe that student learning is most likely to occur when we use consistent, research based instructional practices and curricula. We commit to provide the guaranteed and viable curriculum mandated by the District and approved through School Board vote.
- We believe that critical thinking and analytical/processing skills are crucial for future global opportunities. We commit to culture and foster these important thinking and problem solving skills.
- We believe that every child needs appropriate challenge. We commit to continually improving our instructional practice so that we can grow ALL students’ skill and understanding.
- We believe that every person (including us adults) can learn. We commit to learn from each other and from experts in a variety of fields.
4:30 PM - 6:00 PM MIEA Building Rep Council
6:00 PM - 7:00 PM WM Kindergarten Information Night for 2020-21
5:00 PM - 6:30 PM WM Family Math Night
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM WM Competitive Spelling Bee