Latest West Mercer Announcements
To receive the most immediate updates on closures or late starts, go to the Flash Alert Newswire website at www.flashalert.net/id/MercerIslandSD to sign up for email and text alerts, and download the free FlashAlert Messenger app for iPhone or Android devices.
November 1, 2018
Dear West Mercer Families,
Now that we are beginning November, the end of our first Trimester is just around the corner, as are our parent/teacher conferences. Always a great time when we get a chance to connect with families!
We believe that the connection between school and home is vital for the success of students. One of the important ways that we nurture this connection is through annual Parent-Teacher Conferences. These conferences are seen as so important that we interrupt school to provide 3 days for the conferences (November 19, November 20, and November 21, this year). These 3 days are work days for teachers and if they will not be here during this time they must take them off as personal leave.
It is a burden for teachers to provide conferences outside of these 3 days. Many of our teachers do their best to accommodate family traveling schedules but please be aware that this is a hardship on them. If you plan to be away during our conference days, please consider a phone or skype conference (during the 3 work days) rather than asking teachers to meet before or after the conferences.
We know that there can be extraordinary circumstances that may require a teacher to meet before or after the conference time (a death or illness in the family, etc.) but when 30% or more of our families are making this request it becomes very difficult to accommodate.
If you have not yet signed up for a conference, please do so expeditiously as conferences are just around the corner. Thank you for working with us for the success of our students!
CONTINUE READING THE PRINCIPAL'S MESSAGE BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW:
About West Mercer Elementary
West Mercer is a place of joy where all students, staff, and families commit to grow, empower and value each other. We believe that our capacity to learn is unlimited.
Value, Belief and Commitment Statements:
- We believe in strong partnerships with families and our community. We commit to respecting their insights and opinions.
- We believe that every student and family in our community belongs. We commit to foster and embrace all aspects of diversity and further commit to face and address areas of inequity.
- We believe it is important that we (staff, students, and families) enjoy each other and our time together at school. We commit to building relationships.
- We believe that West Mercer is a place of emotional and physical safety. We commit to developing social/emotional health in our students.
- We believe that behavior expectations must be clearly communicated and that students’ should be celebrated for appropriate behavior, not just criticized when they fall below behavior expectations. We commit to providing a positive behavior intervention system (PAWS).
- We believe that learning should be personalized to meet the needs of the students in our classrooms and school. We commit to providing differentiated instructional practice.
- We believe that student learning is most likely to occur when we use consistent, research based instructional practices and curricula. We commit to provide the guaranteed and viable curriculum mandated by the District and approved through School Board vote.
- We believe that critical thinking and analytical/processing skills are crucial for future global opportunities. We commit to culture and foster these important thinking and problem solving skills.
- We believe that every child needs appropriate challenge. We commit to continually improving our instructional practice so that we can grow ALL students’ skill and understanding.
- We believe that every person (including us adults) can learn. We commit to learn from each other and from experts in a variety of fields.