Latest West Mercer Announcements
The Mercer Island School Board has unanimously approved an educational maintenance and operations levy proposition to be put to voters on the February 13, 2018 special election ballot. The four-year levy replaces the one that was passed by Mercer Island voters in 2014.
The District has recently implemented a new Online Enrollment process, for families who are new or returning to the District. For families, who are currently active in the District and enrolling another child, please log into Skyward Family Access to enroll the new student online.
To receive the most immediate updates on closures or late starts, go to the Flash Alert Newswire website at www.flashalert.net/id/MercerIslandSD to sign up for email and text alerts, and download the free FlashAlert Messenger app for iPhone or Android devices.
Dear West Mercer Families,
Welcome back! I hope you had a happy and healthy Winter Break. It is hard to believe that 2018 is now upon us but I know it will be another great year for our Wolfpack family!
We believe that communication between school and community is important and we, therefore, have added a couple of new communication channels to our repertoire. Please follow us on Facebook (@WestMercerElementary) and Twitter (@wm_wolves) to get short timely communication about our school.
At West Mercer, we really pride ourselves in providing a top quality educational experience for all students. Part of that experience is, of course, academic (and our teachers are committed to providing research-based instruction that ensures academic achievement for all) but it also includes supporting students through conflict resolution.
STUDENT CONFLICT RESOLUTION, PROBLEM-SOLVING, AND DISCIPLINE
Conflict is a natural part of any community, whether that is a family community, a school community, or a larger community. How we, as a community, resolve conflict is truly at the heart of the matter. When two (or more) students have a conflict while at West Mercer, it is our goal to not only get the current conflict resolved but to instill in all students involved the ability to problem solve, as this is a life skill that will bode well for them in their future.
CONTINUE READING THE PRINCIPAL'S MESSAGE BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW:
About West Mercer Elementary
West Mercer is a place of joy where all students, staff, and families commit to grow, empower and value each other. We believe that our capacity to learn is unlimited.
Value, Belief and Commitment Statements:
- We believe in strong partnerships with families and our community. We commit to respecting their insights and opinions.
- We believe that every student and family in our community belongs. We commit to foster and embrace all aspects of diversity and further commit to face and address areas of inequity.
- We believe it is important that we (staff, students, and families) enjoy each other and our time together at school. We commit to building relationships.
- We believe that West Mercer is a place of emotional and physical safety. We commit to developing social/emotional health in our students.
- We believe that behavior expectations must be clearly communicated and that students’ should be celebrated for appropriate behavior, not just criticized when they fall below behavior expectations. We commit to providing a positive behavior intervention system (PAWS).
- We believe that learning should be personalized to meet the needs of the students in our classrooms and school. We commit to providing differentiated instructional practice.
- We believe that student learning is most likely to occur when we use consistent, research based instructional practices and curricula. We commit to provide the guaranteed and viable curriculum mandated by the District and approved through School Board vote.
- We believe that critical thinking and analytical/processing skills are crucial for future global opportunities. We commit to culture and foster these important thinking and problem solving skills.
- We believe that every child needs appropriate challenge. We commit to continually improving our instructional practice so that we can grow ALL students’ skill and understanding.
- We believe that every person (including us adults) can learn. We commit to learn from each other and from experts in a variety of fields.
6:30 PM - 8:30 PM 5th Grade Band Curriculum Night at IMS
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM MI Parent Edge: Kids and Race
6:30 PM - 8:30 PM WM Winter Dance
January 23, 2018
7:30 AM - 12:00 PM School Board Special Meeting
4:15 PM - 6:00 PM MIEA Rep Council
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM IMS 5th Grade Orchestra Curriculum Night
January 24, 2018
2:15 PM - 4:45 PM Hi-Cap testing (Nomination Required)