Latest West Mercer Announcements
Kindergarten enrollment is now underway for the 2019-20 school year in the Mercer Island School District.
Dear West Mercer Families,
As we are rounding third base in our completion of this school year and looking forward to the end of the year activities, rest assured that rigorous instruction is still the norm in all classrooms. We plan to support student growth right up to June 21st! Please help us by encouraging attendance every day!
This is also the time when we start to solidify our plans for the next school year. We are lucky that currently most of our staff have expressed an interest in returning to West Mercer. With that in mind, here is our current staff list for next year. Please keep in mind that this is not a guarantee…staff sometimes have opportunities come up that take them on a different path and away from West Mercer.
Our classroom staff for School Year 19-20 will be:
Michele Frisch, Claire Phillips, Tara Johnson
Kelly Flaherty, Zen Morrison, Katie Gallagher, Lisa Thomas
Gail Calvo, Karen Glantz, Miriam Eve
Leslie Scheurich, Lindzie Adamson, Saumya Santosh
Denise DiPrima, Sherry Isaacs, Rochelle Robinson
Chris Cocklin Ray, Julie Langley, Carly Adams
3—David Baxter, 4—Mark Headlee, 5—Kirsten Bourke
PE—Casey Alin, Music—Clara Kurtenbach, Spanish—Melissa Hersey, Library—Tanya Sylvester, Art—Tracy Richardson, Overload Specialist—Crystal Taitague
Support and Special Education
Learning Support—Kay Walker, ELL—Erin Wilson, Counselor—Anna Orton, PALS—Joanna Berg, Resource Room—Nancy Murray, Psychologist—Simone Carmel
We are very close to having enough enrollment to hire a couple more teacher—please encourage neighbors who plan to be at West Mercer next year (especially kindergarteners) to register now!!
CONTINUE READING THE PRINCIPAL'S MESSAGE BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW:
About West Mercer Elementary
West Mercer is a place of joy where all students, staff, and families commit to grow, empower and value each other. We believe that our capacity to learn is unlimited.
Value, Belief and Commitment Statements:
- We believe in strong partnerships with families and our community. We commit to respecting their insights and opinions.
- We believe that every student and family in our community belongs. We commit to foster and embrace all aspects of diversity and further commit to face and address areas of inequity.
- We believe it is important that we (staff, students, and families) enjoy each other and our time together at school. We commit to building relationships.
- We believe that West Mercer is a place of emotional and physical safety. We commit to developing social/emotional health in our students.
- We believe that behavior expectations must be clearly communicated and that students’ should be celebrated for appropriate behavior, not just criticized when they fall below behavior expectations. We commit to providing a positive behavior intervention system (PAWS).
- We believe that learning should be personalized to meet the needs of the students in our classrooms and school. We commit to providing differentiated instructional practice.
- We believe that student learning is most likely to occur when we use consistent, research based instructional practices and curricula. We commit to provide the guaranteed and viable curriculum mandated by the District and approved through School Board vote.
- We believe that critical thinking and analytical/processing skills are crucial for future global opportunities. We commit to culture and foster these important thinking and problem solving skills.
- We believe that every child needs appropriate challenge. We commit to continually improving our instructional practice so that we can grow ALL students’ skill and understanding.
- We believe that every person (including us adults) can learn. We commit to learn from each other and from experts in a variety of fields.
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM Strategic Planning Update meeting for community
5:00 PM - 9:00 PM School Board Meeting/Employees of the Year and Retirees Recognition