Latest West Mercer Announcements
Each Mercer Island elementary school (Island Park, Lakeridge, Northwood and West Mercer) will hold a Kindergarten registration information session from 6 to 7 p.m. on January 28, 2019.
Effective January 28, 2019, the Mercer Island School District’s administrative policy and procedure for excusing student absences will be significantly changed.
To receive the most immediate updates on closures or late starts, go to the Flash Alert Newswire website at www.flashalert.net/id/MercerIslandSD to sign up for email and text alerts, and download the free FlashAlert Messenger app for iPhone or Android devices.
Dear West Mercer Families,
Happy 2019! It is great to be back in session, even with a hectic Monday morning due to the big windstorm.
I hope you had a happy and healthy Winter Break and are now ready to get back into our school year. While I enjoyed my break and the chance to catch up with family and friends I have to say that getting back to school has been very positive for me! I miss the structure of the school day but more importantly I miss my connections with students and staff—so good to see everyone’s smiling faces again! I believe 2019 will be another great year for our Wolfpack family!
January is also a new beginning for many of the before and after school programs offered to West Mercer students and their families. Our PTSA works through our district office to provide a varied list of activities for students to participate in. The PTSA maintains information about these offerings on their website and has also reached out to families in December to share what is available. If you haven’t already done so, please review the attached list of offerings and use the contact information noted on the list to register for any activities that you want your child to participate in. WM Winter Enrichment Opportunities
CONTINUE READING THE PRINCIPAL'S MESSAGE BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW:
About West Mercer Elementary
West Mercer is a place of joy where all students, staff, and families commit to grow, empower and value each other. We believe that our capacity to learn is unlimited.
Value, Belief and Commitment Statements:
- We believe in strong partnerships with families and our community. We commit to respecting their insights and opinions.
- We believe that every student and family in our community belongs. We commit to foster and embrace all aspects of diversity and further commit to face and address areas of inequity.
- We believe it is important that we (staff, students, and families) enjoy each other and our time together at school. We commit to building relationships.
- We believe that West Mercer is a place of emotional and physical safety. We commit to developing social/emotional health in our students.
- We believe that behavior expectations must be clearly communicated and that students’ should be celebrated for appropriate behavior, not just criticized when they fall below behavior expectations. We commit to providing a positive behavior intervention system (PAWS).
- We believe that learning should be personalized to meet the needs of the students in our classrooms and school. We commit to providing differentiated instructional practice.
- We believe that student learning is most likely to occur when we use consistent, research based instructional practices and curricula. We commit to provide the guaranteed and viable curriculum mandated by the District and approved through School Board vote.
- We believe that critical thinking and analytical/processing skills are crucial for future global opportunities. We commit to culture and foster these important thinking and problem solving skills.
- We believe that every child needs appropriate challenge. We commit to continually improving our instructional practice so that we can grow ALL students’ skill and understanding.
- We believe that every person (including us adults) can learn. We commit to learn from each other and from experts in a variety of fields.
11:30 AM - 1:30 PM MI Parent Edge: Parenting with Identity in Mind with Rosetta Lee
2:15 PM - 3:00 PM WM Non-Competitive Spelling Bee
4:00 PM - 9:00 PM School Board Meeting
6:30 PM - 8:30 PM 5th Grade Band Curriculum Night at IMS