Latest West Mercer Announcements
Each year, MISD families are asked to participate in an Educational Effectiveness Survey to help the District determine areas of strength and opportunities for improvement. Additionally, we are conducting a review of our Highly Capable Programming in the District.
Kindergarten enrollment is now underway for the 2018-19 school year in the Mercer Island School District. Families are asked to please not to delay completing their online registration packet.
Dear West Mercer Families,
We are very proud of our school and students. One of the reasons that West Mercer is such a success is because of the strong family involvement. This year has been no exception. Thank you to all families and staff members who came to our first ever Family Literacy Night on January 10th! It was very well attended and received a lot of positive feedback. In addition, we hosted our first Parent Playground event of the year this last Friday, February 2nd. It was a lot of fun! Please consider joining us for the next Parent Playground on Friday, March 2nd.
This week has brought our West Mercer Musical to the stage! West Mercer students have written, choreographed, and staged an original production: Fifth Grade Flashback. What a great job was done by all! The many weeks of hard work has paid off…Broadway, here we come!
CONTINUE READING THE PRINCIPAL'S MESSAGE BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW:
About West Mercer Elementary
West Mercer is a place of joy where all students, staff, and families commit to grow, empower and value each other. We believe that our capacity to learn is unlimited.
Value, Belief and Commitment Statements:
- We believe in strong partnerships with families and our community. We commit to respecting their insights and opinions.
- We believe that every student and family in our community belongs. We commit to foster and embrace all aspects of diversity and further commit to face and address areas of inequity.
- We believe it is important that we (staff, students, and families) enjoy each other and our time together at school. We commit to building relationships.
- We believe that West Mercer is a place of emotional and physical safety. We commit to developing social/emotional health in our students.
- We believe that behavior expectations must be clearly communicated and that students’ should be celebrated for appropriate behavior, not just criticized when they fall below behavior expectations. We commit to providing a positive behavior intervention system (PAWS).
- We believe that learning should be personalized to meet the needs of the students in our classrooms and school. We commit to providing differentiated instructional practice.
- We believe that student learning is most likely to occur when we use consistent, research based instructional practices and curricula. We commit to provide the guaranteed and viable curriculum mandated by the District and approved through School Board vote.
- We believe that critical thinking and analytical/processing skills are crucial for future global opportunities. We commit to culture and foster these important thinking and problem solving skills.
- We believe that every child needs appropriate challenge. We commit to continually improving our instructional practice so that we can grow ALL students’ skill and understanding.
- We believe that every person (including us adults) can learn. We commit to learn from each other and from experts in a variety of fields.
6:00 PM - 7:30 PM IMS Gator for a Night for incoming 6th graders and their families
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM MI Parent Edge: The Gift of Failure
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM All-District Choir Concert Rehearsal
7:00 PM - 8:00 PM All-District Choir Concert
4:30 PM - 7:30 PM WM Science Fair
5:00 PM - 9:00 PM School Board Meeting
March 27, 2018
4:15 PM - 6:00 PM MIEA Rep Council
5:30 PM - 9:30 PM Fine Arts Showcase Visual Arts