Latest West Mercer Announcements
First day of the 2018-19 school year for kindergarten students has been changed to Friday, September 7
The first day of the 2018-19 school year for kindergarten students has been changed to Friday, September 7. This will be a half-day for kindergarteners, with early dismissal at 12 noon.
Melanie Ready has been appointed as associate principal of Northwood and West Mercer Elementary Schools. The appointment is effective July 1 and subject to approval by the Mercer Island School Board.
Kindergarten enrollment is now underway for the 2018-19 school year in the Mercer Island School District. Families are asked to please not to delay completing their online registration packet.
Dear West Mercer Families,
Can you believe it? Here we are at the beginning of June and another school year is quickly coming to a close. What a great year we’ve had thanks to your support! We could not do all that we do for students without the strong support that we receive from our parents and community. Thank you, we appreciate you!
On Wednesday, May 30th we hosted a Volunteer Breakfast as a way for our staff to say “thank you” to our many volunteers. Our spectacular West Mercer Choir entertained all who were present. If you were not able to attend please know that we are very thankful for all that our families do to support us!
While this is an exciting time of year, we need to keep in mind that class is in session until June 14th and we still have learning happening in every classroom. At West Mercer, we are dedicated to making our learning days count. We are reminding our students of our PAWS commitments (Practice Kindness, Act Responsibly, Welcome Challenges, and Show Respect) as a way to proactively encourage positive student behavior throughout these exciting days. We appreciate your support as well, as you reinforce these guidelines for positive behavior with your children.
CONTINUE READING THE PRINCIPAL'S MESSAGE BY CLICKING THE LINK BELOW:
About West Mercer Elementary
West Mercer is a place of joy where all students, staff, and families commit to grow, empower and value each other. We believe that our capacity to learn is unlimited.
Value, Belief and Commitment Statements:
- We believe in strong partnerships with families and our community. We commit to respecting their insights and opinions.
- We believe that every student and family in our community belongs. We commit to foster and embrace all aspects of diversity and further commit to face and address areas of inequity.
- We believe it is important that we (staff, students, and families) enjoy each other and our time together at school. We commit to building relationships.
- We believe that West Mercer is a place of emotional and physical safety. We commit to developing social/emotional health in our students.
- We believe that behavior expectations must be clearly communicated and that students’ should be celebrated for appropriate behavior, not just criticized when they fall below behavior expectations. We commit to providing a positive behavior intervention system (PAWS).
- We believe that learning should be personalized to meet the needs of the students in our classrooms and school. We commit to providing differentiated instructional practice.
- We believe that student learning is most likely to occur when we use consistent, research based instructional practices and curricula. We commit to provide the guaranteed and viable curriculum mandated by the District and approved through School Board vote.
- We believe that critical thinking and analytical/processing skills are crucial for future global opportunities. We commit to culture and foster these important thinking and problem solving skills.
- We believe that every child needs appropriate challenge. We commit to continually improving our instructional practice so that we can grow ALL students’ skill and understanding.
- We believe that every person (including us adults) can learn. We commit to learn from each other and from experts in a variety of fields.
August 9, 2018
6:00 PM - 9:00 PM School Board Meeting
August 23, 2018
6:00 PM - 9:00 PM School Board Meeting
August 28, 2018
August 29, 2018
August 30, 2018
August 31, 2018
September 3, 2018
September 4, 2018