Consistent with state law and district policy, the MISD Instructional Materials Committee (IMC) reviews proposed basic and supplemental instructional materials requested for use by teachers, curriculum teams, and administrators at regularly scheduled meetings. While not directly involved in the selection of materials, the committee reviews the materials with the following criteria in mind:
- Compatible with District 2020 Vision
- Aligned with District learning targets and Washington State Grade Level Expectations
- Age and grade level appropriate
- Matches the varied instructional needs, abilities, and maturity levels of students served
- Encourages critical thinking, literary and aesthetic appreciation, and acquisition of content knowledge
- Contributes to an understanding of ethnic, cultural, and occupational diversity where appropriate
- Fair and equitable portrayal of genders, age groups, and racial, religious, ethnic, and cultural groups
- Recognizes needs of a diverse range of learners, such as students with a wide range of achievement levels, as well as students with handicapping conditions
- Applicable state and federal laws
All core and supplemental instructional materials must be approved by the Instructional Materials Committee based on the above criteria.
The Executive Director, Learning and Technology Services forwards recommendations from the IMC to the Superintendent. The Superintendent forwards the recommendations to the School Board for approval. Instructional Materials Committee Members
The Instructional Materials Committee includes administrators, teachers, parents, and students. Meetings are open to the public and agendas and minutes will be posted on the District Website. All meetings are held in the MISD Administration Building Board Room.
Instructional Materials Committee 2013-2014 Meeting Schedule:
- October 15, 2013, 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Utilized 2012-2013 Committee for approvals.
- January 21,2014
- March 5, 2014
- May 20, 2014