Dear West Mercer Families,
We need your help—our kindergarten registration is down significantly. We cannot hire staff for classes that we don’t have registrations for. Please, get your kindergarten registration packets in ASAP and encourage your neighbors to do the same.
I hope you are all looking forward to some time together as a family this upcoming Spring Break. Whether you head out of town to an exotic locale or spend time at home, the opportunity to relax and enjoy each others company is one of the greatest gifts we can give our families. I truly hope that this is your plan for our upcoming break from school. I know that it is my plan and I am looking forward to it!
PLEASE remember to ask your child(ren) to look through our lost and found before break. As we do each break, we plan to donate items that are left to charity. Our lost and found grows to an enormous height every few weeks, even though we encourage students to look through and retrieve their lost items and Mr. Kiner does a “fashion show” on the days right before break. This show includes holding up each item and asking students to consider if it is theirs. Again, I ask that you label your child’s items (first and last name) so that we can return them to them quickly.
Please note these important upcoming dates:
• Spring Break: Monday, April 11th—Friday, April 15th
• 3rd—5th grade SBAC (Mathematics), state test: Thursday, April 21st AND Friday, April 22nd
• Principal’s Coffee and PTA General Membership meeting: Friday, April 22nd
• MISF Breakfast of Champions: Tuesday, April 26th, 7:00-8:30am
• 5th grade Science MSP, state test: Thursday, April 28th
• Annual “Staff Appreciation” week: May 2nd – May 6th
• Incoming New Student Open House: May 11th, 4:30-6:00pm
• Spring Fling: May 11th, 6:00-8:00pm
• School Visitation: May 13th, 9:30-11:00am
• NO SCHOOL-scheduled weather make up day, Friday, May 27th
• NO SCHOOL-Memorial day, Monday, May 30th
• NO dogs are allowed on school property, unless they are recognized service animals. School board policy #6973 states that animals are precluded from school property “to maintain air quality; to provide a healthy, safe, respectful environment for all people who may use the public space; and to preserve the general cleanliness and condition of facilities.” I know that this can seem like it is meant for animals other than our own…I am a dog lover myself and find it hard to believe that my little dog could cause harm or discomfort to anyone but the reality is that she can! We have students who are afraid of all dogs as well as others who are allergic to dander, saliva, fur, etc. We must provide for all students’ health and safety. Thank you for helping us follow these important requirements!
• Students are not allowed to come early (or stay late) to play on the playground. We do not have supervision on the playground before or after school. Some students have been coming as early as 8:15!
Please enjoy your Spring Break, when we return we will have just 10 weeks left in the school year and I’m sure they will go quickly! Time does fly when you are having fun!
West Mercer Elementary